The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Flash drive blinks and blinks and blinks, and the computer cursor goes crazy

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by KDrive
  • Latest reply from KDrive
  • Topic Viewed 1293 times

KDrive

I have a flash drive that I use for backup on my laptop. Sometimes, when I plug it into the computer, my cursor starts to go crazy. The cursor flickers back and forth from the white arrow to the circular time cursor. The red light on the flash drive blinks, too.

If I try to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from my Taskbar, I get a message that says that "the device is busy" and "cannot be removed" even if I don't have any window or program open.

This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, when I plug in the drive, the red light blinks a few times and stops.

I have never had any problems with the drive failing to save data or anything at all.

I have tried reformatting the flash drive. That doesn't help.

Although this is not a critical matter, it would be nice to know what is going on so that I could possibly stop it. It is very distracting.

It happens with all of the four USB drives on my laptop.

I am using Vista Home Premium.
It is an Attache 512m flash drive that I have had for at least five year now.
It shows up on my computer in Windows Explorer as "PNY 2.0 FD USB Device" under the device properties.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Do you have Autoplay disabled ?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah that particular model also gets very hot if left plugged in and can melt or short out the USB port.
They were some of the first miniature flash sticks produced years ago.

Probably Best solution is to obtain a new flash stick as they are very cheap now.

You need at a 16GB Stick or better to make Bootable Installation Sticks using ISOs.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

KDrive

Lighthouse:

Yes. The checkbox on the top of the Control Panel - AutoPlay window is unchecked.
There isn't anything listed for the flash drive on this window. The only thing I have under my "Device" section are my cameras.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It could be caused by a sync setting in your WMP (media player). That was a common Vista disease.

Posted 1 year ago

KDrive

I did end up getting a new flash drive. I thought I could use the extra space. And, wow! What a difference! The new drive does not cause anything to happen to my cursor. Or else, it's happening so fast I don't notice it. The new drive does save and delete a lot faster. I don't know what software/file manager/circuitry was on the old one. But, this new one is a lot better. The old drive is at least five years old.

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.