(Solved) - First timer building computer

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by noobieMAN
  • Latest reply from noobieMAN
  • Topic Viewed 2247 times

noobieMAN

No I just bought the cable I linked to above:
http://www.amazon.com/Video-Ca.....ppmatic-20
To try a different cable I'll have to go out and buy another one, which I will do depending on what the impressions of the more knowledgable persons of this forum suggest.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@noobieMAN, Just my opinion but, you should not have said this "To try a different cable I'll have to go out and buy another one, which I will do depending on what the impressions of the more knowledgable persons of this forum suggest" LH. is one of the most knowledgeable persons on this site. You could have gotten a bad cable.

Posted 1 year ago

jcx
jcx

@ warlock- I think he's getting it, very good cable + if yr already using hdmi & vga u shld b just fine.
that's my imparcial "no knowledgable impression".
btw (why oh why did u ditch a perfectly gr8 antec psu? tisk, tisk noobie)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think he's okay too. Never get a bad OEM part jcx? Was something to consider.

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

I didn't mean to sound sarcastic if I did, sorry. I was just trying to highlight my problem that I'm kind of on a budget here and don't want to buy a new cord if I don't have to—though I will if I do. I considered that the cord might be bad but before I assume something like that it's safer for me to assume I messed up somewhere with a setting or something.
I guess I can see that Mr. Lighthouse's post implied that my settings are fine and he suspected that the cord is busted but he didn't say that soooo... I don't know??

@jcx Someone on the forum suggested I pump the wattage so I did ): This PSU seems nice so far...

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you not borrow a known working cable from a friend ?

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

I don't think any friends have this cable...
But I did get an idea to test the cable and the monitor with my PS3, and it did NOT work. Thanks all for steering me in the right direction.
So unless there's some strange reason why a PS3 cant be displayed on a computer monitor, I think I have a faulty cable. Amazon has great return policies, so that's good.
I just can't wait another week or so for the stooopid cable to come in so I'm gonna go out and buy one. Hopefully it won't be ridiculously overpriced.
I guess I'm glad it's just a faulty cable. Imagine my dismay when the screen didn't come on as planned o:
Can't wait until I can mark this thread as solved (:

Posted 1 year ago

jcx
jcx

@oldbie- Yr sortta on the right track; with all the thinking; prioritizing,
though u need to slow down casting blame onto innocent parts is a 'sin'!
btw u dnt need mr. before LH besides it sounds weird/ funny even, like saying quote "I'm Captain Jack Sparrow" savy,
or summit.

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

I'm sorry Mr. jcx I don't really understand what you're talking about...
Anyways, I bought a cable at BestBuy and it works ($27 wtFFFFF???)!! I'll be getting a cheaper one from amazon and returning this overpriced thing but it is serving its purpose; my computer is fully assembled and running with no problems. I am now working on installing the drivers for the graphics card which has become quite the task thanks to Ubuntu. However, that is an entirely different problem. My computer is together and everythign is great. I built my own computer! Woooo!!

One last time, thank you everyone for your help. I have the most profound respect for the individuals such as yourselves who devote their time to tech forums and the like for the sole purpose of helping others. You guys are awesome! I certainly wouldn't have gotten this far without you. Now it's back to the NVidia Tips for new Linux users section for me...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.