The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - First timer building computer

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by noobieMAN
  • Latest reply from noobieMAN
  • Topic Viewed 2247 times

noobieMAN

Well I've learned a lot the past couple days looking into all these numbers and acronyms. DDR3 doesn't mean Dance Dance Revolution Three? huh?
Anyways, before I make the investment on all these parts I wanted to ask some non-idiots just to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid that would make my new parts melt and me cry. So if any of you kind gents or ladies would be so kind, is there anything wrong with this set-up?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ldxi

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card

Case: MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Note: I plan on re-using my old laptop SATA HDD in this computer to save on OS and obviously HDD costs. I believe I need to purchase an adapter ( http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108 ) but there shouldn't be any problems right?

I don't plan on overclocking at all. I'm really just looking for some gaming and emulation(PS2) if it can handle that. Assuming the above is all in order, will it be able to run games like Mass Effect? Can it handle PS2 emulation without any lag? Doesn't have to be highest settings I just don't want it to fry.

I was going to just buy a computer but I've always wanted to try to build my own (despite knowing little to anything about that). After thinking about how I could save some money (I work for my money damn it!) and how it might even be -fun- I'm pretty much decided on this. I just hope it'll, y'know, work.

Thanks for your help (:
If all goes well I'll let you know. If it doesn't I might be too ashamed to come back though o:

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

Don't reuse your old laptop drive - they run slower and will be a real bottleneck in any desktop system, especially looking at the other components you have chosen, plus you won't be able to just 're-use the OS' as the hardware is too different and activation may be an issue, depending on which version of Windows you have.

Posted 2 years ago

Tutaha

Lol, do it once, do it right...aye mate :)

Posted 2 years ago

noobieMAN

Well, the old HDD has Win7 on it, but there's nothing wrong with it? My laptop died due to GPU overheating or something so I think the HDD is fine right? I read it might take some updating of drives/bios or this and that but I reeeeeally don't want to shell out 90$ for Windows AGAIN y'know? Just how much slower will adapting the SATA HDD cause my computer to run?

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

I'd get a better PSU, probably 650W (because of the 660 graphic card).
I'd also get a SSD drive for windows and games (with a 660 I'm guessing you will not play solitaire) and use, maybe, your old laptop drive but preferably use a 'normal' (3.5") drive.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

The Win 7 instllation on your laptop HDD was configured to the laptop's motherboard. When you go to a different motherboard, it's not likely to work anymore. Even if you reinstall Win 7, M$ probably won't activate the installation since the original installation was for a different machine. That restriction on OEM OS's is why I would prefer to shell out for a retail version instead of a cheaper OEM. Distasteful though it may be, you need to pony up for a new copy of Win 7, the more expensive retail version if you ever want to be able to use it on future machines or upgrade the motherboard in this one.

The HDD itself probably already has some serious mileage on it. Add to that it is probably only a 5400 RPM drive and you have a recipe for a slower machine that will fail before long. You would be much better off delaying your build until you save up enough to buy a new 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD or an SSD and HDD combo (SSD for a boot drive and the HDD for storage).

Posted 2 years ago

noobieMAN

Alright, updated my PSU to:
NZXT HALE82 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I'm going to buy the parts now. I will probably end up buying a new hard drive and Windows 7 as well (though I'm reading some beginners Linux guides at the moment), but I want to at least -try- my SATA HDD. After all, I want to get the data off it so I may as well buy the adapter...
As for an SSD I don't feel it's really necessary. I'm sure it would improve performance dramatically but I really know don't need the best, just good. I'm not playing solitaire, but I don't need Crysis max settings either.

Thank you all for your advice and support (:

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Probably won't hurt to try your current HDD. You don't need to get the adapter to do so or to extract data from it. Just hook up the cables to it and lay or lean it somewhere in the case and avoid moving the case much. If you do decide to keep it, you can then get the adapter to permanently mount it (I would suggest one like this, however)

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

While I'm going to try the SATA, after all these tutorial things I've been reading I was thinking of buying the new HDD and trying out Ubuntu Linux.
The parts are ordered. I will update here with how things go.
Thank you all again for your help. I would not have had the confidence to go forth without you (:

Posted 1 year ago

neuroflare

I've read from a number of Ubuntu users switching Linux Mint as well, that is a very popular package that is based on Ubuntu. Just another option out there to keep an eye out for. I've been experimenting with it on VMware to see which one I prefer for my second OS install (Win7 main OS)

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

Linux Mint and VMware. Thanks for the tips.

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

Hello everyone. Sorry it has been so long, the power supply was back ordered -_-
So anyways, here I am with my new computer, mostly built, and of course I've run into an issue. ): When I turn the computer on the screen is blank. "No signal" says the monitor.

On the bright side, upon turning the computer on, all the fans spin, the LEDs light up, and there is a beep—in fact there are 2 beeps. The motherboard reports CPU temperature at below 40 (yes!).

Upon looking in my motherboard manual Troubleshooting section, the probable solution to my problem is "Using even pressure on both ends of the DIMM, press down firmly until the module snaps into place." I believe the RAM was installed correctly, but I pushed it a little anyways—alas, to no avail.
In relation to the RAM, there are 4 slots of the motherboard, labeled DDR3_A1, DDR3_A2, DDR3_B1, and DDR3_B2. There is a little chart in the manual explaining to install memory modules of the same density in pairs. The chart is kind of weird but I believe it says to put Dual Channel Memory Modules into A1 and B1 together and/or A2 and B2 together. I put the memory modules into A2 and B2.

When I turn the computer on WITHOUT a USB boot drive in it, several BIOS codes flash on the motherboard, including 4F, 72, 62, 99, A3, and AE. It stops on A3 for a while until finally resting on AE and staying there. For some reason, none of these BIOS codes are listed in my motherboard manual. The computer shuts off when I hit the power button; I do not have to hold it down.

When I turn the computer on WITH a USB boot drive in it, several BIOS codes flash on the motherboard, including 4F, 96, 72, 62, A3, AE, and F6. The numbers slow down around A3, AE, and F6, but finally what i believe is the CPU temperature appears—numbers in the 30's moving up and down slowly. None of those BIOS codes are listed in the motherboard manual either. The computer shuts down only when I hold down the power button.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The Ram is in the correct slots.

Pull the Video Card out and connect DVI Cable between MB and monitor.

What happens ??

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

Wow! raphoenix you're psychic or something!
Taking the graphics card out worked and the Ubuntu installer is ago.

However, now my graphics card is not in... What does this mean?
I'm a little scared...

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

NO psychic, just an ole builder. (LOL)

Download and flash to Latest Bios.

Then put Video Card back in and setup Bios for External Video.

Use the DVI Cable if the Video Card has DVI output.

What happens ??

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

Last time I tried to flash a BIOS I killed the computer... so that's gonna take me a bit.
However, I can tell you that my monitor only has a VGA cable that fits into the motherboard and does not fit into my graphics card.
Actually, even with the graphics card in the computer I had the monitor hooked into the motherboard. Could that have been the problem before in the first place? I didn't mention it because I thought it was a benign detail.

So anyways, I will attempt to flash the latest BIOS and setup BIOS for external video (after I figure out what that means and how to do it).
But to hook the video card to the monitor I think I'll need some kind of adapter or something -_-

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Page 4 in the Manual is incorrect.

Check in the Video Card Box for an adapter.

To use the video card you will need an adapter are a new monitor that accepts output type from the video card.
HDMI
DisplayPort
DVI

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

There were no adapters in the Video Card Box ):
So I guess I need one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Video-Ca.....ppmatic-20

Just 3 bucks, no biggie, though the wait will kill me, heh.
Will plugging the monitor into the video card really just solve the problem? I wouldn't believe it if taking the video card out didn't just solve the problem before.

Also, I can't figure out how to setup BIOS for external Video. What uhhhh does this mean?

But really thank you so much. My computer that I built myself turned on and works and that's just an amazing feeling.

Posted 1 year ago

noobieMAN

Oooookay so I bought the above listed cord, reinstalled the graphics card, plugged it all in aaaaand... nothing. In fact, the monitor said "Cable not connected" where as previously it said "No signal."
Maybe this has to do with setting up BIOS for eternal video? I plugged the graphics card in without changing any settings. I'm hoping that's the right cord and that there's nothing wrong with it.
In any case, it looks like I'll have to take out the graphics card again. Can anyone point me in right direction? Do I need to change a BIOS setting or is it a hardware issue?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Have you tried a different cable ?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.