How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

First time PC build for EFi-X

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by lukepools
  • Latest reply from lukepools
  • Topic Viewed 1941 times

lukepools

Hello,

I am a long time macintosh user. I am on my 5th Mac. I wanted to get a Mac Pro, but I really didn't have the money for it. After searching and trying to decide I found the EFi-X "board" and decided to give it a try. I searched high and low and found newegg and their pricing was very good. I have ordered all my parts and am now questioning if I got everything I needed. My main concern is my PSU choice. Having a macbook I am not seeing the high electric bills. So I don't wanna get crazy with a 1000W PSU that my set up might not need.

I checked out the reviews on youtube for most of the parts. All have positive reviews. Since I will have all these parts before my EFi-X comes in I am going to build it and test it to check if everything is working. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Here is what I got:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 512-P3-N807-AR GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SeaSonic S12 II SS-500GB 500W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

VIZIO 26" LCD Monitor (found it at sam's club for $399) 1900x1200. Using it now with my macbook.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Typically the most you are really going to need is 500W at the most. The key thing is to get an efficient power supply with the right connections on it (since your video card will likely require one, etc).

This article explains it better than I can (especially read the part about power supplies)
http://www.codinghorror.com/bl.....01157.html

Posted 5 years ago

lukepools

Wow... Thanks! I feel a lot better now. 80 Plus is the new Energy Star rating. So I am sure it will be a good power supply.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!