How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

First Time Build - Requesting advice and comments

(58 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Hydro
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 3581 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i didn't think that he wanted to do a raid though? but i got your point too :) and the case he picked looks really nice :D

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jack,

I don't buy what looks nice.
I go by FIT, FORM and FUNCTION.

Thought you were "cracking the books" this week ??
I know, you are an ART MAJOR (LOL) (LOL) :) :)
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i'm actually in class right now lol :D but i don't have any computer classes yet not until next year :(

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Rick P. (raphoenix), it feels like you are straying off topic here. We are supposed to be helping Hydro with his build not talking about how we would do a build differently.

@Rick (Hydro): the updates you have made look good to me. As far as doing some video processing, your dual-core CPU will not disappoint. A quad-core, such as the Q6600, will be able to process more threads in parallel, but the Wolfdale will finish it's threads faster. Also, you never get perfectly parallel tasks, so a quad-core is not 4x faster than a single-core, nor 2x faster than a dual-core in practical applications. You will be happy with the Wolfdale.

Regarding the GPU, the Radeon 4850 is an excellent choice being a modern chip with lots of power and features, but at a sweet price point. As the blog posting I referenced above said, GPUs will be used for image processing and I believe it. A good GPU is worth investing in.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Rick, you better put the 'may' in ALL CAPS or (brackets) or (BOTH) before you offend one of our ladies!! ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jack,

What about Calculus, Physics, Chemistry and all the rest of the required courses ??
You already finished those ??
WOW !!
You ARE moving on.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

I'll stay off the thread.
Thanks.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@raphoenix i did most of those in high school :)

Posted 6 years ago

Hydro

Thanks to all for your great input. Think I'm on track here, thanks!

Rick P, no need to withdraw----nothing wrong with mixing in a little banter. It is helpful, though, if the reasons for a component falling into the "NOGO" catagory are outlined, and maybe even an alternative suggested (and why). This of course does not relieve us noobs from continuing to research on our own as well. But I have found technical forums like this are extremely helpful in narrowing the choices down to a point that it becomes more of a preference decision, and reduces the chances of a major technical faux paux.

RICK

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Hydro,

Nothing is better than building your own rig, trust me, you will learn alot along the way. In fact, a friend just asked me to throw him a rig together, I put a proposal together at 1,500 but I have yet to get the budget (sadly it will probably be less than a grand, including a monitor (which mine had)). I'm on Putzer V right now, but building one for another couple will make things most interesting...wish me luck!!

Posted 6 years ago

Hydro

One last question-----I was hoping to incorporate an external hard drive for this system, and some research led me to this one. I want to take advantage of esata, but the Mobo I selected apparently doesn't support esata.

Questions are:

1. Is there a Mobo that would work with this build which has esata capability?

2. is esata that important?

3. Are external hard drives a bad idea (I know I could go with muliple HD in the case, but wanted something I could grab easily when the black helicopters land.

Any input greatly appreciated.

RICK

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hydro,

"Black Helicopters" - "Grab & Snatch OPS" - I'd better check my profile again. (LOL)(LOL)(LOL)
It's pretty late CST/USA time.
Let me think on your question over night and will post a good reply tomorrow if you don't mine waiting.
When you are investing money in a build, you want to be right so I want to give you the best advice I can.
Thanks for the confidence.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hydro, you could certainly find a motherboard with an eSata connector but then you would be in for another round of verifying compatibility with RAM and CPU and GPU and so on. Is it important? That depends on how you intend to use the external drive. Most people consider an external to be secondary storage so that speed is not paramount. If it's just for keeping offline backups, moving large files off the internal drive, and such then USB 2.0 is fast enough and mighty cheap. The promise of eSata is speed -- an external drive can be as fast as an internal one. But, if you need that kind of speed and storage, the usual solution is to add another internal drive.

Well, you may be wishing you had more speed when the black helicopters are landing and you are trying to save those last few gigabytes of data. :-)

Here's another thought. You could always add eSata to any system with an adapter card. Hardly anyone uses those PCI-E x1 or x4 slots, but that would be the perfect place for an eSata controller such as one of these from newegg. Finally, an external drive is not a bad idea it just has a certain niche that it fills. You have to decide if it fits your needs.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hydro,
(4-6) of these with a Asus MB supporting (On-Board) eSata controller and you can do any configuration; Raid, eSata Raid, etc. Can't beat the price or existing technology.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/....._-22148274
Throw in (4) Gigs of High Speed Corsair (Matched) Memory, a moderately priced ATI Cross Fire Ready Video Card, Full (No Non-Sense) Tower, Intel Fast Processor plus a few more goodies and you are ready to "roll".
Will be happy to spec your complete machine if you want (HOWEVER) I do (NOT) spec gaming machines or home entertainment centers.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Hydro

RickP: I appreciate your input. The system I want to put together is not intended for extreme gaming or home entertainment, and I would of course certainly be interested in any system build you would recommend. I would like to stick with the monitor, though for reasons explained earlier.

ScottW: Thanks for your thoughts. Your comments make sense regarding the esata and having this take me down another compatability trail. The USB connection seems like it would be just fine for the simple periodic backups I need. I am just looking for a reliable backup storage for important files (like my photo library)I can grab quickly if necessary.

RICK

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hydro,

NO problem with the monitor. Just match it's specs against others to insure you get the most bang for the buck.
Have to go to hospital for treatment today so probably will not be able to post until tomorrow.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Hydro

Jeez, no problem. Take care.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hydro, it is now confirmed that Adobe is adding GPU support to CS4 in what is likely to be a trend in image processing software:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1358.....ag=nl.e703

Also, I noticed that Budohorseman had recommended an eSATA card back on page 1 of this thread and linked to a list at newegg. He was way ahead of us on that feature!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.