The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

First Build...ever

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rollelectric
  • Latest reply from rollelectric
  • Topic Viewed 1989 times

rollelectric

I am attempting to build a computer particularly for gaming purposes for around 1,000 dollarsish. So I've been doing some research and I've come up with a basic plan I have.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail - I believe this is a decent choice for what I'm attempting

Mobo: BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - I picked this one mainly because of its compatibility with my cpu and its good reviews. Is Biostar a good brand?

Case: NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - this one looks cool. Oh and according to a number of reviews it is quiet, which is something I'm looking for

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail - I think this is enough and fast enough for most games? I figure in the future i can always add or upgrade if I feel the need.

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - Okay so this is where I'm having a bit of trouble...is this a decent choice? or is it incompatible - I think it would fit into my mobo =/

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - I like space? Idk

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

OS: I was thinking Vista 64-bit home. Cause Idk, its not that bad is it - or just windows xp it up?

Few questions: (1) Will I need a power supply? (2) Will I need an external cooling system? - I may overclock.

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

hey rollelectric

check out this thread, ive been helping this guy make a $1000 gaming computer as well.
your choice of videocard is extremely outdated, you will probably only be able to play mid to low settings on the latest games.

and yes you will need a power supply :P

Posted 5 years ago

rollelectric

Thanks Sammy for referring me to the other post it helped me realize my video card was old. Also that my mobo was not what I was looking for.

So I have been considering this card-
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

and this Mobo - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

also I looked to get a power supply,

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

750W seemed on the excessive side but it is a pretty good deal.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

roll that's the same motherboard and cpu i used in my newest build. i put it in an antec 1200 case. the mother board is known to quit working, mine had a metal burr on the cpu clamp and cut into the circuit when i clamped it down. this mother board has tons of tweaks and appears to be overclock ready, i might put a quad core in next. have fun...

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

> "OS: I was thinking Vista 64-bit home. Cause Idk, its not that bad is it - or just windows xp it up?"
Indeed, it's not bad. In back many of us on this forum think Windows Vista is a good OS and better then Windows XP.
One thing to keep in mind though, Windows Vista comes in two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit.
The 32-bit version can't use RAM above about 3.2GB.
The 64-bit version can use RAM above 3.2GB but only with 64-bit programs, you can run 32-bit programs but not 16-bit programs (which shouldn't be a problem for any software made in the last few years as it's all either 32-bit or 64-bit) and you can only use 64-bit drivers (which are usually available for recent hardware).

Posted 5 years ago

rollelectric

@0z
Thanks for the tip -- the motherboard seems to be where I'm getting stuck 'cause I guess its kinda important and I don't want to make a bad choice.

@jd
Awesome, yeah I prefer Vista over XP. Wasn't sure which was easier to deal when you build your own system though. Also, if I want to use 4GB of RAM I have to go for the 64-bit - which from what I can tell shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't want to install any ancient software?

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

good choice in both videocard and psu (enough power for future upgrade)
HOWEVER like i mentioned in the other thread, if you plan to buy another videocard in the future to crossfire, then radeon is NOT the way to go. ATI has many crossfire driver problems. Its a great videocard on its own, so if you plan to stick with only one card, then its a great choice but two in crossfire will most likely give you grief.

Posted 5 years ago

rollelectric

Okay, I'll definitely consider that. It would like to avoid as many compatibility issues as I can :).

Posted 5 years ago

rollelectric

raphoenix

rollelectric,
Let me suggest one these MBs and CPUs (IF) you are future proofing your Build.
Come 30 days, LGA 775s will be yesterday's headlines.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....;name=ASUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....5&y=34
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....20Desktops

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

> "which from what I can tell shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't want to install any ancient software?"
Correct.

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

Get and antec 900 instead for your case, much cheaper, much smaller/lighter and can fit all your components. The ASUS videocards tend to be a little pricey, since then tend to overclock their videocard models, but i dont think it justifies their price (unless you're going for the picture on the card, which i think is really cool, HOWEVER since the card will be facing downward you wont be able to see it anyway).
I suggest an EVGA or BFG GTX260 Core 216, they are around the same price as your asus but with 216 streaming cores instead of 192, benchmarks show there is a noticeable jump in performance for many new games.
Other than that i'd say everything looks good

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

Before you purchase anything check these combo deals from newegg.
If you decided to take my advice on the videocard, you can take this deal, and save $65! not only will this deal make the EVGA card cheaper than the Asus you picked but it also has better performance!I highly recommend!
However if you still want the Asus card then theres this deal.

Posted 5 years ago

rollelectric

@raphoenix
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think that if I go with the 755 right now and use that for a while the 1366 will come down in price and be more affordable when and if I even decide to upgrade to the 1366.

@Sammy
I did like the picture :(. But, I decided to go with the EVGA mainly because of the deal, I can't really beat that. Thanks for all your help. It looks like I have a good idea of what I'm going to be building.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.