SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

first build, need feedback (help with video card)

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bryce0044
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1327 times

bryce0044

SSSammy

hey bryce0044
if you're willing to spend $10 more i'd go with a Antec 900
Ive heard the cooler master you picked also has good airflow, expect for the front fan, but dont take my word

as for a videocard, read this article from HardOCP
it'll help you decide on getting the best bang for your buck

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

bryce0044,
@SSSammy,

Welcome to The HTG Forums.
Suggest you purchase your cases and enclosures directly from Antec.
http://antec.com
Check it out.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

bryce0044

okay thanks for the help guys, but now i have a few more questions. The HardOCP article has me leaning towards an ATI video card now, would i need to switch motherboards then? If not, would i need to if i were to try and utilize CrossFire? Another thing is which manufacturer of video cards would you recommend?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

bryce0044,
Suggest you hold up with Build for a few days until Intel announces new I7 1366 CPUs and X-58 Chipset product.
Already in Europe and will shortly be available in US market.
You are looking at out-dated products right now.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Bryce, the nForce 750i chipset on that Asus P5N motherboard is designed to support multiple nVidia graphics cards in an SLI configuration. In theory, it should be able to support a single AMD card in a PCI-E x16 slot. However, if you decide to go with ATI graphics, you should choose an Intel chipset instead. They are more common, nForce chipsets have more compatibility issues, and you will have the option to use CrossFireX later.

Intel's Core i7 CPUs have been released and if you were looking at high end components, I would also suggest that you take a look at them. However, as they are just released, an i7-based system will be very expensive. One benefit to a mid-range build, such as yours, is that the prices may come down.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,
Thanks for the Link.
Intel was suppose to send me an E-mail but obviously they didn't.
Looking for those introductory prices to "drop like a rock" in the current economic environment.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

Like ScottW said you would need to find a intel chipset motherboard if you want to use crossfire.
For your price range i'd suggest an Asus p5q pro, it uses a intel p45 chipset. However though it does support crossfire with 2 pcie slots, both slots go to 8x from 16x once 2 cards are used. If you dont mind shelling out around $50 more you can get a Asus p5e or p5e deluxe, it uses the intel x38/x48 chipset which allows full use of the 16x slots.

These suggestions are for your price range, if you want top of the line crossfire performance then go with rapheonix's suggestion and get a x58 motherboard with a intel i7 processor.

Just a little warning though. If you plan to go ati, be wary that getting two 4850's in crossfire may cause you unwanted grief. The latest drivers (8.10 & 8.11) for 2 4850s in crossfire may cause your computer to go bat-shit crazy, meaning to say bsod.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

shouldn't cuss...

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Agree with 0z !!!!

Cussing is a sign of Poor Personal Hygiene.
@SSSammy,

Thanks for Backup.
Hate to see folks purchasing old X48 stuff wasting their money now that i7 and X58 has been released.
Different CPU, socket, technology and everything involved now.
Tried to warn folks two months ago BUT very few listen to us old builders anymore.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

the X58 and i7 are definitely the muts nuts (polite from where i´m from :D), but not everyone has the 2000€+ (whatever that is in $) for new components!! X48´s aren´t all that bad Rick and SSSammy does have a point about Ati´s crossfire compatability, there been having huge problems. 1 card alone great, 2 of them forget it!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@madmacs,

I AGREE !!!!

Think those high introductory prices are going to "drop like rock" in about a month as the world economy gets worse.
If anything, I suggest building "Nothing" right now and making do with what one has.
As a Pensioner, for sure I am NO wealthy person and probably the poorest in our group.
Just don't want to see others get "taken to the cleaners" in the middle of a technology change.
"Been there and done that" so know how expensive that can be in the long run.
Looking out for (ALL) members with my suggestions and recommendation. :) :)
Anyone can tell me to "shove it" and that's their propagative if they care to ignore an old man's advice. :)
My feeling are impossible to hurt as most know from my postings and profile. (LOL)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

very sorry about the cussing, please ignore it
Ive been having trouble with my ati 4850 setup at it angers me to no end, i only found AFTER i bought it about its numerous driver troubles

the intel i7 920 is actually pretty cheap, same price as a intel q8600 duo, however its the motherboards that are a kick in the wallet.

bryce0044, keep in mind with what ever card you choose to check the needed power for said card. if you plan to crossfire/sli in the future be sure to change your psu to compensate. 550w might not be enough

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Here are your Intel i7 CPUs at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....3&y=31
Here are your Asus X58 1366 boards at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....;name=ASUS

Here are your Antec PSUs and Cases at Antec
http://www.antec.com/InternationalWelcome.php
After the Intel i7 CPU release Monday, everything else is out dated now.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.