The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

first build for cad design and gaming

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by boss21784
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 2014 times

boss21784

Hey, I am looking into building a new computer for as much under $1000 I can get. I'm not really into gaming that much, but I do play occasionally and would want a system to support it when I do. But my main need is too support graphics programs such as AutoCAD 3d modeling, MAYA, as well as the Adobe packages. Basic operations should be fine with simple set-ups, but if I get into really complicated renderings that use advance lighting and shadows as well as moving walk throughs of my models, I want a computer that will be able to handle that correctly. Ive been through a multitude of different sites looking at mother boards, and graphics cards but to be honest much of the stuff confuses me.

Currently I'm a student so Im still learning how to even do some of the advanced renderings and such, so i dont really have any bases to go off of, but I do hope to get into it eventually. I'm also low on money and about to graduate and getting stuck with a lot of bills so right now this perfect system might just be a dream. But I'd still like people's advice on the system I currently came up with from tiger direct.

It may be too much for my needs since i really dont game too much, so if you can find cheaper alternatives with similar features, That would be great.
Also, to save money but still upgrade my computer, I could drop the hard drive and stick with my current one for now, though it is pretty full with only 120gb, and I think i could just transfer my DVD and DVD RW drive as well as the floppy drive. I'm not sure the specs on the other parts. I currently only have a gb of memory and am running xp home. If possible I'd like to not have to buy another version of XP, but since i dont have the disk as it was pre installed, I guess I have to.

D10-3876 :: Diamond Radeon HD 3870 OC Video Card - Overclocked, 512MB GDDR4, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support, Video Card (2.05 lbs)
$154.99 -- I've went through many video cards, seems as if every site i check out has a slightly different selection to choose from, and to be honest, most of them all look the same. like i said, my main focus is something that will handle renderings from graphics. The review for this card said something about 4.1 shaders, and other stuff, so that sounded like it'd work to me, but I really don't know. Could I do with something less powerful and cheaper? One thing i want is the ability to hopefully get a second monitor when i can afford one so it has to be dual DVI.

K24-5844 B :: Kingston 4GB DDR2 667MHz 4 Pack Bundle - (4x) 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory (0.2 lbs)
$35.99 --> these are only about 9 bucks a piece, I'm not sure if they are good enough or if they will work with the motherboard, though i think they will. Also i really only need 3 as XP only supports 3gb, but I heard you should buy things in pairs so I ended up with 4. is there a better way?

CP2-DUO-E4500 :: Intel Core2 Duo E4500 Processor HH80557PG0492M - 2.20GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, OEM, Socket 775, Processor (0.05 lbs)
$114.97

A455-2826 :: Asus P5Q-E Green Motherboard - Intel P45, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, S/PDIF, Dual Gigabit LAN, Firewire, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID (3.45 lbs)
$154.99 -- i liked this because it included firewire, a lot of USB ports, good intergrated audio and looked big enough to hold all the other stuff that needs to go on it, as far as the other stats go, im not really sure what they mean, but again, i'm up for suggestions on cheaper models that wont sacrifice much performance.

TSD-1000AS2 :: Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G (0.95 lbs)
$109.99 --> i'd like this bigger drive, especially since I have a lot of big programs, but this might have to be a future upgrade option when I have more money to spend on it. like i said before, all i have is a 120 GB drive which is full, so either way i need to upgrade to something or add another drive. I plan on keeping my old drive as a data and OS back up.

S457-1035 :: Masscool 8W553 / Socket 775 / Aluminum / CPU Cooling Fan (1 lbs)
$19.99 -->not sure if i really need this

M17-7503 :: Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM Version (0.1 lbs)
$139.99 --would like to avoid having to purchase another copy of XP since I already have it on my current system

ULT-LSP750 :: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan (5.4 lbs)
$49.98 --> maybe unneeded power, but it was cheap so i went for it

T925-1258 :: Thermaltake VH8000BWS Armor+ MX ATX Mid-Tower Case - 230mm Fan (30 lbs)
$139.99 --> probably really don't need this case, but i liked it and it has good air flow, and looks big enough to put whatever i need in it. I'm up for suggestions for other styles if cheaper and can support what I put in it. My only wishes are that it has usb and headphone jacks available on the front somewhere, and preferably a clear side just because it makes it more interesting.

Let me know what you think and if you can find me any better deals than the ones i have. Hopefully I'll get some good graduation money so that i may be able to afford this thing. Although in reality i might have to use that money for a car that I dont have yet once i get out of school. Thanks

Jon

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

office computers really benefit from using 4 cores, so i suggest you get a quad core instead of a dual maybe a intel q6600

I also suggest looking at these 2 links Build1 Build2

These are good builds for office/gaming pc's for around your price range $1000-$1300
Some notes however on both builds, if you dont plan to overclock your cpu then you dont need to buy the 3rd party cpu coolers he mentions in the build

Some of the items he mention however may no longer be available.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> "Also, to save money but still upgrade my computer, I could drop the hard drive and stick with my current one for now, though it is pretty full with only 120gb, and I think i could just transfer my DVD and DVD RW drive as well as the floppy drive. I'm not sure the specs on the other parts. I currently only have a gb of memory and am running xp home. If possible I'd like to not have to buy another version of XP, but since i dont have the disk as it was pre installed, I guess I have to."
On the drive move, if you do that then Windows XP will not boot. Windows XP cannot be moved from one computer to another with a normal or repair install.
On the copy of Windows XP you have, if it came with an old computer then even if you have the disc, you cannot install on another computer due to license restrictions and the activation in the software that would enforce that.

> "M17-7503 :: Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM Version (0.1 lbs)"
You said that you would like to use your current Windows XP Home (which you cannot) so why instead of buying another copy of Windows XP Home do you list Windows XP Pro?
Is there a feature in Windows XP Pro you would like or did you just make a mistake when listed that?

Posted 5 years ago

boss21784

i just thought i would upgrade since it wasnt a huge price difference, and maybe once I get into the corporate world, the ability to connect remotely to my computer at home sounded more possible than with the home edition. Other than that I've had no reason other than the fact my dad always continues to think I have XP pro on my machine, and since he works on computer servers for a living, I just figured he'd know better tricks to troubleshoot it when i screw it up down the road.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok.
Also, I would recommend you use Windows Vista on the new computer.
It has:
1. Better support for new hardware like SATA.
For Windows XP you either need to have a floppy drive or need to burn a custom Windows XP with SATA drivers
2. DirectX 10.
Can be better for games, Windows XP only has DirectX 9
3. Windows Aero, gives you nice Windows, Window effects, Taskbar Thumbnails, support for programs like Switcher and Video In Picture.
4. Windows Explorer has some nice improvements like integrated search, thumbnail support for document files and thumbnail support has been merged into the icon views.
And other features.

I asked about the XP edition you had in part so I could recommend an equivalent Vista edition.
I would say get Vista Home Premium now and should you need the ability to connect to corporate networks you can upgrade to Vista Ultimate in the future.
There are also two versions of Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit. You need the 64-bit edition if you want to use more then about 3.2 GB of RAM but it is less compatible with older software and drivers. For more on that see http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....-vista-x64
Depending on what Remote Desktop features you want, there are third party programs that offer that. Like LogMeIn Free supports connecting to another computer but not the extra features like remote audio, files and printing.

Posted 5 years ago

boss21784

Ive got a configuration down to about $805 if the mail in rebates work out, $905 with shipping otherwise. but then again, by the time i can afford this the deals may be over. I think i will just stick with xp home for now. i figure i can always buy software to let me have a remote desktop if i really need it. I probably wont for several years as i dont even know where Im going work right now as the market is crappy. I went with new egg after looking at the suggested builds posted. I like the fact they actually have a search that lets u choose based on features. but as usual i went through a billion options trying to find the perfect things. Im not even sure if all my parts i picked will go together. meaning if i have enough usb connectors/ right power connections ect. I wonder if i should still just get the 750 watt PSU from tiger direct that was only 50 bucks?
I think i have to buy a new set of optical drives because i'm guessing the current ones are only have ide connectors. The dvd drive is the standard built in from dell, and i have a memorex dvd burner with lightscribe technology, if anyone knows the specs on that. I sure am wasting a lot of time looking at all this stuff for something im not even going be able to buy anytime soon, unless i use expected graduation money. Oh well, heres my current list.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136153 24.99

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T - Retail
Item #: N82E16827135176 $22.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136218 $69.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811119077 $59.99

MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814127333 $104.99 + $30 mail in rebate

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139005 $99.99 + $30 rebate

nMEDIAPC ZE-C98 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader with USB/IEEE 1394/e-SATA Port/HD Audio Ports - Retail
Item #: N82E16820132020 $21.99

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820227298 $79.99 +30 rebate --> is this worth the price if the rebate falls through like some tend to do? or whats a cheaper alternative to just have 3gb since i cant use the one.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128359 $108.99 +$15 rebate

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115017 $189.99 --> maybe this will be a lot cheaper by the time i can buy this

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD - OEM $89.99

I think it all should be compatible, but i may not have enough usb connectors since I want that card reader, Im not sure though.

Posted 5 years ago

boss21784

oh as far as vista, im reluctant to get it because I want to make sure all my programs are going continue working on it. I know a lot will, but I know at least one downloaded game does not. and i like that game.

Also, I've downloaded a lot of the same effects that vista is known for, including stardock, vista start menu (though i dont think its actually what vistas start menu looks like), side dock, and also the vista log in screen, sounds, and I believe I can get the aero feature, though i havent really tried it cause i dont really know what it is.

I can hopefully just transfer my old floppy drive to the new system as well, unless that takes a new kind of special connector also

Oh i think the only thing i may be missing though im not sue if I need are possible additional fans, and maybe a different cpu fan... not sure though if its needed.

anyway thanks for the help.. i better get to bed if i actually plan on getting up for class tomorrow.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

[ In edit ]

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> "oh as far as vista, im reluctant to get it because I want to make sure all my programs are going continue working on it. I know a lot will, but I know at least one downloaded game does not. and i like that game."
Ok. That makes sense.

> "I can hopefully just transfer my old floppy drive to the new system"
I looked at the Motherbord manual and it does have a floppy disc connector so you should be able to move it.
Though from looking at the manual it appears you don't need to use a floppy drive to install Windows XP as the BIOS defaults to having the SATA drives work in an older IDE mode for compatibiliy.
Note: If you want to "enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug" you need to install the SATA drivers after Windows XP is installed and then turn on the native SATA mode, ACHI by going to the BIOS setup, selecting "Integrated Peripherals", setting "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "AHCI", and setting "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled".

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.