The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

first build 1k gaming pc

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by oprahsming
  • Latest reply from oprahsming
  • Topic Viewed 3382 times

oprahsming

at first i was looking to get a gaming laptop but due to budget problems i decided it would be better to attempt a desktop build:). not an expert but from what ive seen its doable and with help hopefully ill have a kick ass system by new year. not set in stone on the parts im wanting but i do know alot of the specs i want to achieve ... 4gs ram 512 mb dedicated graphic... dont know if i should try for 2 cheaper cards or one big one but defidently wanna go nivdia or radeon.. 3m of cache and on the MB im virtually clueless .... want a ASUS just to support the brand but im not gonna sacrifice my budget or performance by any means...LF strictly value and performance. want a good sized hard drive that runs at 7200rpms... 320 preferable... would go down to 250 if it ran even faster but pretty sure id have to pay through the nose for it....... well hope someone can help any suggestions will be appreciate. ll be sure to update on progress and remember the target here is 1000 dollars:D...and case.. want one with style... but im sure that dream will die with the price

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

hey oprahsming

here are my suggestions for some of your parts
CPU - Intel e8600 239.99 or if you want to overclock the cpu yourself and save money then get the e8500 187.99 instead

Videocard - Your best bet here would be to go for a powerful single card to which i suggest EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 259.99 apparently you can also get Farcry 2 with this deal. Of course if you want to again save money (40 - 80) then the next best thing would be a MSI GTX 260 or Radeon 4850 1gb, 3 choices here:
HIS(Excellent cooling, 4850's are known to be really hot) <-- best choice of the 3
Asus(if you still want to support them, cept the fan is not as good as the HIS and isnt much cheaper, though i love the look on the box it comes in)
Sappire(30 cheaper than the other two but the stock cooler is terrible, expect your temps to hit 80 degrees)
Note however there is a noticeable dip in performance between the gtx 260 core 216 and the gtx260/radeon 4850
(These are my suggestions but if you want to stick to 512 card then you could find a 4850 512mb one for $130-150 on newegg)

Case - i always suggest an Antec 900, great airflow, optional sidefan, and also cool looking AND its only 59.99 right now at newegg!

Mobo - would depend on if you want to upgrade in the future, if you plan to get the nvidia card and plan to sli in the future then you need and sli compatible mobo, but if you get the radeon and plan to crossfire then you need a crossfire compatible mobo or you could just be a single-card type, and never choose to do sli/crossfire.

Memory - depends on your mobo, many mobo's are very touchy when it comes to memory so, best to choose your mobo first and then find a compatible memory, to which i would suggest 4gb (2x2gb) at 1066 or 800 if you want to save money

Power - id say 550w - 650w

Harddrive - shouldnt be to hard to find a 7200, just compare prices and reviews between seagate and western digital on newegg, im sure you can if a good one for $40-50

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

thx, been looking at alot of those parts myself. especially the first card u mentioned cause its pretty sweet and if im correct SLI enable so when i come into some cash i can just stick another one in there:D thats why ive been looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813188024 for my MB and the first processor u mentioned sounds solid. for mem i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820231211 dont know if its compatible with my MB i want but seems like a good deal:) the only thing im not quite sure about is a sound card? is it necessary?? or just something u splurge on if u have a good system? and will i have to buy fans or do will they come stock with case processor and video card? and what kinda probs i face if i wanna get biggers size and lower rps?

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

I dont know too much about sli chipset motherboards, since i took the radeon route, however it looks like a solid board, though i think you can get away with less, ill post again if i find something.

The memory you selected is ddr2 900, i suggest ddr2 1066. check the reviews and ratings in the link for the one you like. be warned, though OCZ has great value, a nice heatsinks they have numerous compatibility issues. Ive heard GSKILL, Kingston, and Corsair are good.

Buying a separate soundcard instead of using the built in one on the mobo is only if you have the money to spend. Its really a novelty item and wouldnt be worth the money unless u had a decent sound system/speakers.

The stock cooler for the processor should be good enough, if you dont plan to overclock. If you do plan to overclock then 3rd party cooler is recommended since the stock cooler is decent but not great. Some problems you MAY face with 3rd party coolers is their size. Some mobos heatsinks that surround the cpu are built to only house the stock cpu coolers and thus may not fit others, in which case you would need to get creative with a knife a shave them down. Though ive only heard this happening on Intel chipset mobos.
Leave the cooler on the videocard, it should be fine, besides if you try to replace it with a 3rd party cooler then you void the warranty.

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

ended up going with http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6811156078 cause it seems like a solid case and im on a budget:) also the one u suggested and i wanted ran out of stock:/ and that meant id have to pay full price because new ones dont come in until the 2nd also picked up http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817341010 cause from what ive read its a cheap very reliable power supply only one worry with that though.... things such as this have a universally used dimensions and stuff id hop so there shouldnt be any prob putting it in my case correct?...im probly showing just how much a noob i am:) but my build is more important than status on a forum lol.... gonna by the other parts soon but wanna wait till i get my case in and shop around a bit.. also there should be no prob with processor rejecting MB?? thx for the help btw also http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814102801 is about the same price with 1 g of dedicated mem oO i honestly dont need a g but still for 10 bucks id feel good knowing it there:) any downside to it?

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

Since you're thinking about maybe upgrading to two GTX 260 core 216 in the future i would bump that to a 700w
Yep, universal dimensions so you dont have to worry about the size
You dont have to worry about any rejection UNLESS you're trying to fit an intel processor into an amd board. But you're not, so you're good

The radeon 4870 1gb is only SLIGHTLY better than the GTX 260 core 216 in SOME games, according to benchmarks ive seen. Plus, if you got a 4870 1gb and wanted to get another in the future to crossfire, you will have NUMEROUS driver problems which is why they(ATI) invented the 4800 series x2's which is basically 2 videocards crammed into 1 pci slot. All-in-all its not worth it to get a radeon unless you're buying an x2, or if you plan to stick with only one card OR better yet, if ATI starts getting their act together. I learned that the hard way.

ps dont worry about sounding like a noob, i first posted on this site just like you, looking for advice for my very 1st build, a little over a month ago! You learn a lot when making your first build

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

since me and drivers arent the best of friends...ie( broke one of my comps when i installed my first graphics card and deleted the wrong drive:)...ill go with the first card u mentioned although considering dumping the sli and just going with a single card and opting for the 1g... although id love to be able to just add one more card for 250 when i need to upgrade... itll come down if i find some really solid MBs that r 50$ cheaper... still might end up going with SLI just cause it sounds so danm cool:) also decided that http://www.newegg.com/Product/....._-19115036
would work great cause from what i read its quite solid (sensing the pattern) and much cheaper and im trimming fat anywhere i can... im sure when i add up all the shiping cost and ext. there will be more adjustments.also gonna go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822148288 ... i know theres a chance of ram getting rejected by MB but will i have any probs at all with a hard drive?..........again thx for the help and it looks like this things gonna come together wayyy faster than i though:D

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

no problem, happy to help :)
Found you a good mobo, a EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1. $50 bucks cheaper, and not bad for upgrading, up to 8gb of ram, 2 pci-e slots at 16x for SLI. Plus it has a combo offer with a GTX 260 core 216 for $45 off! its a great deal and exactly what you're looking for. take it!

harddrives wont be rejected either, if it does then its defective, and all you have to do is get it replaced
remember to get your optical drive, i suggest LG

i forgot to mention, i suggest you get Windows Home Premium Vista 64-bit for your operating system, it will allow you to utilize the 4gb ram as well as use directx 10 for your gaming.

if you havent picked your memory yet i suggest, Patriot Viper SLI or you could get OCZ Reaper since it appears to be compatible with the mobo i picked. if you want to be safe however pick the patriot since it is also SLI optimized in case u ever want to go down that road.

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

kk thx was wondering if i should go 64 bit seeing as how anyone and everyone seemed to be using it in the common....... good thing u said something cause i generally have a deep seated hatred for vista:/ and ill check out the board but the combo deal u mentioned must have ended a few hours ago:( witch sux cause it seem like a sweet buy.....:(..... well i may stick with my old board just cause im already nostalgic for it:) and it looks like ima fit my budget:D... .but ill still check out the one u mentioned just cause theres no pint in paying more if its gonna serve the same purpose just as well also i read the specs and it said that ddr 800 mem was standard? does this mean thats what i should go with after all? or just i go for later models? also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813131339 witch seems like a great boaredbut not so excited about the processor it uses ....... gonna start ordering parts soon before i get too redundant btw:D...... is there anything else i need that i havent touched on? besides peripherals of course

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

> "i generally have a deep seated hatred for vista:/"
Just wondering, why don't you like it?
Many of the forum users with Windows Vista including me think it's a good OS and better then Windows XP.

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

just really dont like it... seems just to be a fancier interface and more flash then substance... but i guess alot of ppl know something i dont about the subject.... i wasnt calling myself an expert.. just generally dislike it.. i find its harder to locate alot of things that were simpler and more accessible with xp..also it pretty much ruined a few of the laptops that were early adopters witch made it nigh impossible to find and stay connected to the internet though a wireless net work when i have plenty of other devices that worked fine on it...... mainly just seemed that they wanted everything to be a visual graphic where es the old system served fine.......rather not get in a software fight ill certainly lose:)... vista seems to be the accepted operating system so thats what ill go with

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

SSSammy

looks all good, except maybe the memory. its not on the qualified vendors list (qvl) for evga 780i motherboard, which means it hasnt been tested on your chosen mobo.

i suggest picking one from the list, since they have already been tested, which means less chance of any compatibility problems. get a sli ready memory just to futureproof it a little.

once you do that, then i think you're all set. well you could browse around for a second opinion but i think you'd good to go ;)

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

:( im having some trouble finding 2 2g of mem that is supported buy my board on that list:/ and its all ddr3 and its hard to be sure about the SLI compatibility.... can i use ddr2 for this? ..... and the only one i found.. isnt cheap:/ can u help me out here?? if push comes to shove and i get the mem itll put me just over my budget :,( witch is kinda a pride thing at this part

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

oprahsming,

You are aware that Intel is switching manufacturing fabs over to i7 1366 CPUs and X58 Chipsets ????
Realize they are expensive right now but come January, the 775s will be yesterday's headlines.
Suggest you wait on your build for a month.

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

found http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820145197 witch seems like i would work and from what i read u can enable sli memory in bios and get 1066 speeds as advertised...... just wondering if ill be able to run 2 cards with this mem for sure......... hopefully i can find out 2marrow and be able to get my parts in by the end of the week.... then comes a whole new adventure:D kk hope u can help

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

hmm you're right theres only one on that list thats 2x2gb ram. GSKILL - Seems to have good reviews and its cheap

that corsair memory you found is good to, especially with the 1066 but if you want something cheap then take the gskill i just mentioned

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

> "rather not get in a software fight ill certainly lose:)... vista seems to be the accepted operating system so thats what ill go with "
Ok, I don't want to get in a fight either. You can pick which ever one you want.
Of which if like listed above you use Windows Vista 64-bit then you should know that it requires 64-bit drivers and will not work with 16-bit programs.
Recent hardware will probably have 64-bit drivers and recent software is all 32-bit or 64-bit (32-bit software is supported in the 64-bit version).
You may want to double check that before buying anything though.

Posted 5 years ago

oprahsming

thx thx... GREAT! now i can order the rest of my parts:D.... a bit conflicted on whether to go with the better buy or whats best for the build but from what i read the g skill is easily oced to the same speed as the cosair....sweet.... lol now i just need to learn to oc something:D

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

oprahsming
if you're conflicted, you could get 2 packs of the gskill, making it 4x2gb ram. 2 packs are still cheaper than the corsair, plus you'll get the 8gb of ram, and when you're confident enough later in the future to oc then you'll have 8gb at 1066 for less money ;)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.