The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

First Build

(18 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ajh
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1208 times

ajh

Hey all thanks for any help in advance. Anyways this is going to be my first build and was hoping for some feedback on components, and if maybe I'm getting myself in over my head (this is not as big a problem as I will have help if I need it). I will be building around thanksgiving time when I am home from school, so I have time to play around with different ideas. Alright here goes

NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
MOBO- BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 Ghz
Video- VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit
RAM- 2x Corsair Dominator (2X2GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066
Hard drive- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS SATA
DVD- Samsung 22X DVD+R Burnere SATA
Power Supply- Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V
CPU Cooling- Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Video Cooling- Zalman VF1000 (probably a bit unnecessary but figured why not)

Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Just want to make sure everything will work together. Also If there's a component that I picked out that is too much or not enough for the rest of the system.

Thanks again for the help

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Please tell me that you are an overclocker. Why else would you need a build with 14 fans! That assumes you use all the case fans, swap the 2 stock GPU fans for the single Zalman, and count each of the 3 mini-fans on the DIMM cooler separately. Our forum member raphoenix will love this setup. He's a big fan of, um, fans. Especially if you leave out the speed control on the two Zalmans and let them run full speed and full noise.

As for the components, I don't see any compatibility problems. What do you intend to do with this system? It would be good for gaming, though Vista 64-bit may cost you some compatibility.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ajh,

NOW we are talking a Real Build !!!!
1. Add some "Raptors" on that machine. Use a minimum of at least (4) in Raid configuration.
2. Ensure CPU is the latest with the Largest Cache and highest speed plus head room for O/C and Over/Volt.
3. Check out Asus P46 or wait a couple of weeks for Asus X58 Chipset MBs.
4. Keep air moving through that case. Can never have too many fans.
Be Da** the noise. Folks will get use to it.
5. Run Machine CPU and other other components 10 degrees below thermal shut-down.
6. Zalman is a GOOD idea from ScottW.
Crank up the Build just a bit and also be sure you have Fastest speed and most Bandwidth you can get from ISP.
Could go on and on but think you are moving in correct direction with this Build.
Just do a bit more thinking.
Post Back for sure.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ajh,

Added Posting.
Themes, lights and gadgets don't count; only machine "performce" is the true measure of one's Build.
Think of your computer machine as one would think of an aircraft machine.
When Your Build can Replicate the "Performace" of this Aircraft Machine, then you are (half way) there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lDmETgYGs
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

ajh

I do plan on doing some overclocking, as far as the fans go, my current computer is experiencing some pretty major problems (MoBo, GPU, possibly CPU) that stem from heat issues so at the moment you could say that I am heat paranoid and I didn't take the time to actually add up all my fans total haha. Chances are that I will not be using the fans that come with the ram but it was the same price without the fan bundled so I figured if I got bored some day maybe I would put on the fan. I plan on using this mainly for gaming with some school work on the side ;). Also I was looking at a system with a budget with a top end of $2K including a monitor. What type of compatability issues are we talking about with vista 64? Just software as I am assuming that the drivers that come with my hardware will not be a problem.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ajh,

I'll let others discuss the Vista 64 gaming issues.
As for as the Monitor Hardware, you will be looking at a 22", 2ms, high contrast ratio LCD with (ALL) other Monitor Specs taken into (DUE) consideration.
Will have to make a spreed sheet with specs listed on good monitors for best decision.
---------------------
WARNING:
Your post has Priorities Reversed.
Should Read: "Plan to use mainly for School Work and Learning with some gaming on the side".
----------------------
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Actually, it is the drivers that are problematic with games in 64-bit Windows. Video drivers for 64-bit Vista are lagging behind drivers for 32-bit Vista, which only recently came up to par with XP. See this article about gaming with Vista:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=458

In a similar fashion, the 64-bit video drivers for Vista are not as good as the 32-bit ones, but they are getting better. Testing games in 64-bit Vista shows less compatibility and sometimes lower performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/syste.....7&p=16

If you stick to newer games that have been tested with Vista 64-bit, you will have better luck. All games that carry the Games for Windows, logo should run fine. Also check this list, keeping in mind they don't always discuss whether they are using 32- or 64-bit Vista:
http://www.vistareadygames.com/

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

Thanks for helping.
As you know, I'm not a gamer so I'll leave those game questions for you Guys that really know those Video Driver and multi-media issues.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ajh

Scott thanks for the websites to check out vista compatability issues

Raphoenix yeah I was looking at a 22" sony with 8000:1 and 2ms. Just a little joke on the priorities.

I keep seeing things about intels new chipset and Core I7's. Is it safe to assume that these items will be pretty pricey when they first come out and hence out of my price range?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ajh,
Think you ought to wait for just a short while before you make a new build.
Picture of new Asus P6 boards posted on this thread.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=3

All new items always start out a bit pricey but with world economies the way they are now, may not see the start-off prices as high as they have been in the past.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ASUS P6T DELUXE SERIES

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Double Post deleted by raphoenix 10/31/2008.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

geesh, that's a B/A motherboard. is there more than two sata power connections? what's the 100% korean words? and how much?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Can't you read? It says: "100% 全固態日系電容". I mean, duh! :-)

It's pointing at the caps -- must be "100% Japanese made capacitors".

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,

This picture was just a prototype pulled off a review testing site.
Given the history of Asus, am sure there will be probably be 4 or 5 editions and revisions of the series.
If you go to http://asus.com and look at the selection of MBs they produce and their variations, it's awesome.
Even matching specs on Newegg is a chore which almost requires a spread sheet analysis before one buys.
Hate to see folks make a Build and then a week later, find out they should have just waited a few days to get the latest product.
Got caught a couple of times in that position myself with Intel and Asus and it is NO FUN plus is an expensive mistake to say the least.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

lol @ duh! what i've found out about the newest technology today is old news tomorrow, i hate that.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,

EXACTLY but one does want to have something new for at least a couple of weeks. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, it's a B/A picture, but not a B/A board. It's still and ATX form factor, just crammed with components!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.