SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

First Boot, Power LED turns on but Heatsink+powersupply fan+casefan don't...

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by WiSeIVIaN
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 1128 times

WiSeIVIaN

Ok... I have...
Mobo: ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX
Processor: Intel Celeron G1610

Got a cheap case+PSU from Amazon, but I've since swapped in a Bronze PS that I know works and am getting the exact same results.

When I turn on the computer, the ONLY thing that happens is the front power button lights up. No PSU fan, no mobo fan, no case fan, nothing....

http://postimg.org/image/3oiecyubf/ is a picture of my motherboard.
Red = Connected to power supply (PSU is also connected to case fan + hard drive + dvd drive)
Green is the heatsink connecting into the Mobo
Blue is cables from case along with my SATA connectors (they are actually connected to the 2 SATA's to the right). HD Audio is the audio cable I have connected.

http://s7.postimg.org/z11iqntmz/Pic2.png is a close-up of the system header. I have the 4 groups of cables connected to the 8 leftmost pins as follows...
PLEDcolored - PLED White - Power colored - power white (top row in pic)
HDLED colors - HDLED white - Reset colored - Reset white - blank (bot row pic)

I've played around a bunch with those systemheader connectors to no avail. Help is 100% appreciated.

Thank you very much to anyone who has thoughts, experience, insight, suggestions...

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Are the wires going to system panel header color coded and if so, what are the colors. Like a blue & black, red & black, purple & black, tan & black.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

White or black wires should go to Negative posts (-).

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Xhi, that's true but the positive has to go a certain plug-in.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

They are labeled and usually the case wires are also labled PLED, Peset, Powr Button, etc. You can't hardly go wrong.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Well, evidently WiSeIVIaN has!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Then I recommend he carefully read the wires and the motherboard. Not much other help can be given until that happens.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Section 2.9 in the Manual gives Detailed Pictures and Pinouts of all Connectors on the H61M-DGS MB.

There is NO Need to Play around with connectors as everything is straight forward in the Manual.

Is in PDF or I would post the pictures.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Link to get the PDF Manual http://www.asrock.com/mb/overv.....l=H61M-DGS , however, OP must have it or he could not have posted the pictures above.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

"They are labeled and usually the case wires are also labled PLED, Peset, Powr Button, etc. You can't hardly go wrong."

Not necessarily. I had the pretty much the same same thing happen (the fans would start up, then immediatly stop; yes, I did RTFM) with my new build the first time I booted it after installing the MOBO, etc. inside the case (I had bench tested it first so I knew the MOBO, etc. were ok). I pulled all the front panel connectors from the MOBO and pulled the case fan power connector from the PSU. It would post after that (I hadn't hooked up the boot drive yet. I then started connecting the removed connectors one at a time, shutting down before reconnecting each one and then rebooting again. I eventually found the Reset switch connector was the culprit. The weird thing was I reversed the connector and then it worked! So much for that switch not being polarized.

I suggest the OP pull all cables from the MOBO except for the ones from the PSU, then start replacing them one at a time until the problem develops again.

Posted 1 year ago

WiSeIVIaN

Thanks for the thoughts/help guys!!! I posted on another forum and got this answer which saved me. Appearantly I had an intended 3.5floppA small power connected plugged into a fan port for no reason (its in the bottom right of the first image link I posted. I fit very well, but was shorting me out. Unplugged and it started right up!!!

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

WiSeIVIaN, thanks for letting us know what is was. It happens to the best!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.