The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Firewall question

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Luis
  • Latest reply from Luis
  • Topic Viewed 27163 times

Luis

I checked my firewall in my security center and it's turned off I tried to turn it on and it wont. So I went online and tried to download comando and it tells me i have a firewall called sunbelt. I have no idea how it got there does anyone know what sunbelt personal firewall is? And if so can i uninstall it I want to go with comando it doesn't appear in uninstall programs.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com.....-firewall/

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

Thanks I was able to uninstall sunbelt and install comando. What happened was i installed sunbelt some time ago and didn't like it so I uninstalled it but some files didn't uninstall,so it showed i still had it on. I used revo uninstaller Thanks again.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Luis, do you mean Comodo firewall ?

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

Hey LH yes I meant comodo firewall. LOL all this time I've been saying comando.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Luis, just to warn you, there have been several problems with Comodo recently.
I find Windows Firewall OK :)

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

Good morning LH I liked windows firewall also the thing is it stopped working it wont turn on, any suggestions on how to get it to work again.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

What happens when you try to turn it on ? (Error message etc)

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

Hi LH just got home. Well when I go and turn windows firewall on an error message comes on saying "security center can't turn on windows firewall'' It ask if I would like to update when I try to update it gives me another error message "windows firewall was unable to make the requested updates" I went to admin tools under windows firewall service with advanced security and there are two more error messages "there was an error opening the windows with advanced security snap in" the other error message is "the windows with advanced security snap in failed to load restart the windows firewall service on the computer that you are managing Error code 0x6D9" any ideas?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Lets start with the basics.
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
scroll down to Windows Firewall
Double click on it, and,
set "Startup type" to "Automatic"
Exit
Reboot

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

there's nothing there but the error messages I wrote about "I went to admin tools under windows firewall service with advanced security and there are two more error messages "there was an error opening the windows with advanced security snap in" the other error message is "the windows with advanced security snap in failed to load restart the windows firewall service on the computer that you are managing Error code 0x6D9"

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

I looked this up. "Windows Firewall function fails after joining Vista clients into Windows 2000 domains

You may experience the issue about no SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege privilege under “Local Service” account after joining Vista to Windows 2000 domain. This could cause several services (Telnet, Firewall etc) not being able to start. The typical symptom is described as follows:

When joining Vista client to Windows 2000 domain, after Vista client receive group policy and reboot. it will have some problem to manage the firewall settings.

1. Windows Firewall service (mpssvc) cannot be started with error message "1279, a privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration"

2. Cannot open "Windows Firewall with Advance configuration Security", the MMC snap-in will return error 0x6D9

It is because SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege for “Local Service” account is missing. In Windows Vista, SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege privilege is required to start Firewall service and the account to start Windows Firewall service is "Local Service", (this is different to the Local System). In Windows 2000 Domain environment, the default confgiruation for "Increase Quota" is only assigned to Administrators. Thus after Vista get the domain policy, the Local service's SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege will be revoked.

The solution is to give SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege to Local Service.

To do that, open group policy editor and locate Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment

On Windows 2000 Group policy Editor, Find "Increase Quota" and add "Local Service" to the list " Do you know anything about this I have no idea were to look for this.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

OK. I've found info on web, but I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Posted 5 years ago

Luis

LH I just got off the phone with Microsoft and it turned out my windows firewall services were not on my system "MpsSvc.reg" so he remotely fix my firewall by adding the missing files I'm gonna have to start a new thread because I uninstalled comodo and it still says it's on in the security center. If it's not one thing it's another. Thanks for all your help.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.