The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Firewall not opening: error code 0x80070424 & 0x6D9

(52 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by KatMcCon
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 36519 times

KatMcCon

I have searched your forum and found one similar problem that had been posted several years ago. Did not help

I had free version of AVG and Malwarebytes on pc. While on internet AVG came up saying Trojan Virus had infected my pc. Then top tab showed "Win 7 antivirus 2012". AVG then offered to sell me their $59.99 version; so I thought this might be fraud virus just to get me to buy their program. I closed out internet connection, uninstalled AVG and Malwarebytes (also used AVG's tool to uninstall complete program later). I could not access internet until I had uninstalled AVG.

I went back online and installed Windows Essentials, Essentials found 4 virus including Trojan and deleted.

Now I do not have my firewall. I have googled problem and have tried every suggestion. Even a Microsoft tech could not figure out what the problem was, he accessed my pc and went through and tried things I had already tried, plus some things. So I still am without firewall.

I have windows 7, 64 bit.

When I googled problem yesterday, I saw someone else had similar problem this month and received suggestions.

"Windows Firewall" does not show up under "services", to start or stop program.

I'm not geeky, but I try to follow instructions to fix problem. Is anyone else having similar problems at this time?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
K

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Try the following free progs;
I know you may have already run these but the links are correct sources;

http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....bytes_free
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....fault.aspx

Run separately.

Update all and do full scans.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

Mike, your first link is a 404 error.
The other two I don't need. I have taken care of the virus. I just need info on getting back my firewall. Thank you.
K

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/

Posted 2 years ago

whs

AVG probably disabled the firewall because they have their own. And if you did not uninstall AVG with their own uninstaller, it may still be disabled. Get the AVG uninstaller from this site. Beware that there are different unionstallers depending whether you are 32bit or 64bit.

Also note that Windows Defender will not work independently when MSE is installed. The Defender is automatically part of MSE.

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

Thank you for your suggestion "whs". I had already uninstalled AVG with their uninstaller for my 64bit. Still no firewall. But I will try again..

TO LIGHTHOUSE MODERATER: I originally had Malwarebytes, but had uninstalled with AVG. Later I reinstalled, but the Microsoft tech uninstalled just to see if there was any change to the firewall, but there wasn't.

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

I did the AVG uninstaller tool as suggested above for my pc. Firewall still will not open. Still same error code.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

KatMcCon,

If you do not understand this discussion, then do as Santo suggested in the last posting on the topic thread.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=38

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

raphoenix: I think I understand this discussion. The suggestion Santo gave does not work for Windows 7 64bit. If I cannot correct the firewall on windows, then I don't mind replacing with a good firewall; but Comodo does not work on my pc. Thanks anyway.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

KatMcCon,

You did NOT read last posting on topic thread completely.

Santo said in his last sentences

"If you are very particular about Windows Fire wall. Take a backup of your important files
and reinstall or recover your computer."
UNQUOTE

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Rick

She could do an in-place install with a disk from askvg if she doesn't have her own. Still best to do a personal file backup though first.

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Tony,

Yep, We have one coming up now I think.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2

Problem is most OPs have never done an install.

The lack of computer knowledge appears to be getting worse instead of better
over the last couple of years I believe ?!?!

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

I have backed up my data; docs, pics, music. But do not have discs to reinstall. I also do not have a restore point before problem began. I have tried to download another firewall from cnet...Windows 7 Firewall Control 3.5, but when I click on the icon to open, it says Windows 7 Firewall Control Services not running.

I will look into purchasing discs to reinstall. Thanks to all who gave me info.
K

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Disks here, free,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

Thank you Lighthouse Moderator, very much.

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

And one more question please:

Before I try the reinstall mentioned above, do I need to do a complete backup of computer; or just backup my personal info such as the docs, pics and music? I have backed up my personal info, but my external harddrive will not hold a complete backup of computer.

Thank you for being patient with me, and offering suggestions to get my firewall back. I'm very unsure about reinstalling and it all working out OK; with my inexpertise.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

katmcon

What is being suggested you do is an "Upgrade" install. Basically you are replacing all the system files in your present operating system with original ones but all your settings, programs and personal files will be left untouched...you will have to do all the Windows Updates again though. The reason you are being asked to backup your precious data is these things can go wrong....but hopefully this won't happen.

1. Save your "precious" data.

2. Download the exact same W7 version with Service Pack 1 as is on your computer from lighthouse's link above. Note: 3GB download size.

3. Put a DVD in your drive. Right-click on the W7 file (it should say "Disk image File" in the type column and "X-17 with some numbers" ).

4. Click on "Burn Disk Image" > Check box "verify image after burning" > Click Burn. It will burn then verify the image.

When this is done you are ready to do an Upgrade. More to follow.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

1. Get your Windows product key...you will need it when it's done.

2.Start Windows and put your W7 disk in > Click Install Now.

3. Check option to get updates.

4.Accept the agreement.

5.Click Upgrade. Click Upgrade option NOT Custom. It will probably take an hour...don't touch anything until you have to put your key in or Windows asks you. When it's done and you are back on the desktop if it asks to activate Windows do that (it shouldn't do) and then click Start > All Programs > Windows Update and install everything it shows...another good hour here waiting for that. I think I've missed one or two bits when windows starts up for the first time but it should be clear what you need to do.

Hopefully, when you've done this everything is as before but with a functioning firewall.

Ask more questions if you need to and I'm sure the others will add anything they think you ought to know as well.

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

KatMcCon

Thank you Tony. Wonderful instructions. I'm also going to "print" out your instructions. Thank you!

I've already made note of my Windows product key.

K

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

It will do two or three reboots in the process don't touch anything when this happens like it will say " Press Any Key..." IGNORE IT Ok?.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.