Ted16
Ted16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19909106

Ted

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Thanks for the heads up Ted.
Am running FF 15.0.1 for last few weeks without issues but have auto updates off.
Between 12 and 15 had loads of other issues (slow loading, FF not responding etc)
I use Palemoon as well (built specifically for windows based on FF...and there is a 64bit version available) without issue but some extensions will not work in PM.

http://www.palemoon.org/

Mike

Moved to Geek Stuff for a wider audience

Posted 1 year ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thanks Mike I actually meant to do that but "Off Topic" habit dies hard LOL

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Ted16, anything like this is great info for the community so always feel free to drop it in Geek Stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Mike

you might like to play with Comodo Icedragon, if you get bored, which is their take on FF...the emphasis is on security.

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

I've dumped Google's Chrome for Comodo Dragon (Chromium) as it seems faster and more configurable privacy-wise. Also downloading the flashplayer during installation is optional rather than compulsory.

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....ice+dragon

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

On version 16 now, huh? I thought they'd be at least into the upper 30's by now as many updates as they release.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Just had notification to update to 16 Hmmmmmm

Think I will wait :):)

Posted 1 year ago

ian2
ian2

Actually today they released 16 with the patch for the flaw. so its okay to update again..

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Thanks ian2... BUTTTTT can we be sure :):) and do we really need it ????????

Posted 1 year ago

ian2
ian2

Well can one ever be sure of anything and who knows what we really need ? ;)

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/16.0.1/releasenotes/

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I updated and it works perfectly :)

btw. I always download the new version myself and install it instead of just doing an update, otherwise Mozbackup holds on to the name of the old version.
Anyone else noticed that?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Ok just updated !!!!!
Funny thing though.. I have updates set..to tell me when updates are due but to let me choose when to download.

When I went to Help>about firefox and clicked 'check for updates'...I expected it to tell me that a newer version was ready for download, but it went straight in to downloading.Maybe it is just me, but am sure I had the option to wait/check before downloading previously.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Also upgraded to 16.0.1 without issue. Certainly is faster than before given the tabs I have open.
Mozbackup, no probs either, imported all settings without issue.

@Tony, thanks for the Comodo browser link.

Playing with it now, fast, no issues so far

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I too went to HELP --> UPDATE and it came down and installed, never did that before.

Also, I'm on a 64 bit W7, and I previously had ALWAYS gotten an install failure that I recall it couldn't install for some reason or other. On my desktop I have many single URL icon's, and it never would work with these (close FF, re-open, and the install should complete). I had to use a REAL FF icon, and I had to run it as Administrator to make it correctly install. Yesterday when I used a URL icon it installed with no problem? Odd... but something has had to have changed? Now that I think of it, my wife's system which is also W7 x64, let me check...

That FF is also set for Automatic Update, and the minute I opened ABOUT it started checking for update, d/l'ed it, and installed it. Button to re-start FF and install. This was on a URL FF icon too. Re-started to FF 16.0.1 without problem? Something surely has changed from prior versions.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sarah, would Mozbackup be doing that, because your default account doesn't change when you update FF ?

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well everything seems allright and I can import it back in without problems, but I updated version 14.0.1 to 15 and then my mozbackups would still be called "Firefox 14.0.1. (en-US) - *date* ".
Someone said that that happened when doing an update from within FF (I forgot where I read that), so this time I downloaded the full exe and installed it and now they show up as "Firefox 16.0.1 (en-US) -*date*", so it seems they were right ;)

Edit: what do you mean by 'default account'?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

In AppData, follow it through until you reach the .default folder. FF that is. Haven't used it for yonks. Does the default name change when you update or reinstall FF?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@ Irv "I too went to HELP --> UPDATE and it came down and installed, never did that before."

On Mozalline Forum, this was given as a solution to,' how to avoid the automatic downloading.'

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/help-menu-update/

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ LH - there is nothing in AppData that gives any info on the version of FF used (not that I can see anyway).
I did run into the thumbnail cache though and disabled that straight away.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

@vistamike - "Also upgraded to 16.0.1 without issue. Certainly is faster than before given the tabs I have open.
Mozbackup, no probs either, imported all settings without issue."

You have to import all settings ? I have never done that before. All my settings haven't changed from 12.0.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!