The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

firefox QL icon

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 202d
  • Latest reply from 202d
  • Topic Viewed 434 times

202d

i surely though i had read previous on here about this but i have been searching for hour....

after Firefox install, right click on icon on desktop, or in start menu, and choose 'add to QL'...then icon on the QL bar looks like a damaged page file. this happens with ff a lot. a few months ago i had this problem every time i loaded it on customers machines, and then it seemed to disappear.

at the time, wherever i found the info, had said to do some elaborate .dll replacement or something about a command for the icon being wrong so it involved tracing down a file in the app data or program data folder and copying over a file. while the explanation was long and technologically beautiful, it didnt work for me. i of course tried updating to latest ff, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried it on x86 and x64....same issue (and for the unaware, ff uses same .exe installer x86/x64 anyway...)

so now the problem is back. last few days. with an installer file i use often that i have NOT had issue with for months. and i tried with newer .exe anyway and still same. im on a Win7 x64 system but i am pretty sure it is an issue that effects any (save for 8 which i could care less about)

any wisdom to impart? also, when you click on this damaged icon, firefox works. and while it open on any page, the icon is correct and all other behavior is typical.

and yes i have all the sys updates and .net updates and windows sec patches available, etc

Posted 1 year ago

202d

and where do i do pics again; i took a screenshot...whats the host i have to use?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi 202d ,

Here's the tutorial for Photobucket : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Have you tried an SFC scan ?

Posted 1 year ago

202d

sfc scan?

Posted 1 year ago

202d

ff icon

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

SFC Scan :

Open a cmd prompt in admin mode (right click run as admin),

Type sfc /scannow,

Press Enter.

Posted 1 year ago

202d

and while i have a new ability w pics...answer this

upgrade flash??

heres my yt acct, open to a simple page with a song. note the incessant irremovable reminder to 'upgrade flash now' in the orange box. problem is...its chrome. and to confirm before i posted this, from their help pages, "there is no need to install/upgrade flash with chrome because it is integrated". and if you go to a different link in the help pages "[to upgrade] first uninstall any previous flash..."gee that would work great if i didnt also have to uninstall chrome....not having any issue with the vids, just keep getting that popup. suggestion?

im doign scan now, let you know what it turns up

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Chrome does have Flash 'issues' at present.

Posted 1 year ago

202d

'no integrity issues'

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Any changes when you restart the computer ?

Posted 1 year ago

202d

nope. none. and just so i know, what other messages are an option when i run this scan besides 'no integrity issue'

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

If it says no integrity issues then you have nothing to worry about, otherwise it would say corrupted files repaired/could not repair.

You could try rebuilding icon cache this way : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ail-cache/

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

i surely though i had read previous on here about this but i have been searching for hour....

after Firefox install, right click on icon on desktop, or in start menu, and choose 'add to QL'...then icon on the QL bar looks like a damaged page file.

The option/function you describe is only available in Win XP.
If you have invoked the "Quick Launch bar" in win 7 then simply drag/drop the FF icon to the QL bar.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

202d

yeah yeah i did that; look at the link for the icon. its damaged. this is a FF problem; their internal support must have fixed it but its back. was looking for a way to fix manually

Posted 1 year ago

202d

@guilty...and the customer picked up his computer already he understood issue and was fine with it. i told him to bring it back in a few days and id have it sorted etc....but what you suggest (link to the 'rebuild icon cache') ..its good in theory EXCEPT the icon was never right to begin with. so before i call him and say bring it back, assume that 'rebuild the cache' doesnt work, what would next step be? remember this was a fresh format of Win7, a complete 'overwrite previous data' format, so there is NOTHING that SHOULD be interfering, making it a FF issue most likely, not a Windows one. and yes i had done all sys and security updates (sp1) and all optional updates having to do with '...fixes a problem with windows, seeKBxxxxx for details' from optional. only other software installed besides OEM sp1WIn7 was dell-site drivers for LAN wLAN INF-reader...and intel's site drivers for INF and GMA, flash-activeX, flash-other, silverlight, MSE x64 and chrome

Posted 1 year ago

202d

and, i just did a format on a desktop with XP; using same FF installer, then added icon to QL and no issue

(XP pro sp3, all sec updates and Dell/intel drivers only)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!