How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - firefox is already running

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by captainbars
  • Latest reply from pcs3652
  • Topic Viewed 550 times

captainbars
captainbars

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

The above message was played on my pc yesterday (May 31) when I clicked the icon to get on the internet, & I can no longer use Mozilla Firefox. This happened twice last year, but restarting the computer solved the problem. This time, I've restarted, rebooted, shut down, unplugged, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted, shut off, begged, yelled...nothing works. My pc tells me that Firefox is still running, & so does any other browsers I've tried. I can get on the internet, but I like Firefox better--I can't transfer my bookmarks, etc because my current browser says Firefox is still running. How do I close it? How do I prevent it from happening again if anyone has an answer to this? HELP!!!!!

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

captainbars hi. Is it showing as running in Task Manager ?

Posted 3 years ago

Rasaraja

Hi Captainbars: click CTRL+ALT+DEL you will get a menu, click on START TASKMANAGER, click on PROCESSESS tab, scan the entries. You should find one or more of firefox.exe entries. Click on each and click END PROCESS. Now close task manager, and restart firefox. It should run.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

hi captainbars,
the suggestions above should close the running instance - i just wanted to add that when youre all done as a precaution maybe run ccleaner if you have it oir just clear out all your cookies / cache / internet history, etc.,etc..
and dont firget to Vacuum Firefox databases ...
kind like a little tune-up for your browser : )

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

I would also rum this MBAM to check if the computer is clean.

If you cannot get on the net use another computer to download it to a usb stick then put MBAM on your computer install update and run a scan

Use the free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I've had this problem on and off of FF continuing to run. Usually I can start it OK when I first boot, but if I close it and try to open it again too soon, it doesn't. Task Manager would show 2 instances of it running. I kill the first one, it closes, and then either both will close or FF opens. After that, no more problems. If I leave it alone, minutes later, it opens anyway. Something is hanging the first instance open for me. I've learned to live with it.

It NEVER effects IE or the use of the Internet/network for me though?

What version of FF are you running? I never get that dialog box either?

Are you running x86 or x64 version of Vista?

Have you tried running FF in SAFE MODE, that is without all the add-ons? It could very well be an add-on or even a PROFILE that is causing the problem.

Instructions to run FF with a new Profile as a test is HERE, give it a try with a new one and see what happens...

To start FF in Safe Mode, not running in Windows Safe Mode, check HERE.

Let us know what you discover?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

pcs3652

Hi,

Follow the steps to given below:
In Windows Vista If you are receiving the above error message while attempting to start Firefox, try to restart the program. If the problem persists, do the following:
1. Restart your computer.
2. Select the Start Menu in the Windows Taskbar.
3. In the Search box, enter the following:
%APPDATA%
4. Press Enter.
5. From the Application Data folder, navigate to Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.
6. Delete the file xpicleanup.dat.
7. Restart Firefox.
In Windows XP
1. Click on the Start button and select Search to open the Search Results window.
2. On the left side of the Search Results window, click on the All files and folders link.
3. Click to expand the More advanced options list.
4. Put a check mark next to Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!