How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Firefox download manager add-on with bandwidth allocation

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Antman
  • Latest reply from Antman
  • Topic Viewed 3546 times

Antman
Antman

When I run uTorrent I can assign the maximum bandwidth it can use, upstream and downstream, so I can still happily browse at the same time I'm downloading stuff. When I download .rar archives from Rapidshare with the DownThemAll extension it does, to it's credit, squeeze every last bit out of my 20mb cable broadband connection, but it does also renders Firefox absolutely unsuable at the same time.

Does anybody know of a decent download manager add-on that has customisable bandwidth allocation?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Are you saying you want to download slower? Heresy! =)

I'd consider a separate, standalone download manager with a plugin for Firefox to integrate it... something like FlashGot. Firefox can only do so much downloading before it becomes unusable.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Antman, what download speeds are you getting?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Lighthouse: Antman says he has a 20 Mbps connection and DownThemAll squeezes every bit out. That means he's getting download speeds of at least 2000 KBytes per second up to a theoretical maximum around 2222 KBytes per second. That's phenomenal speed.

Antman, I would think that you could turn down the number of simultaneous connections until you have some leftover bandwidth. I would be very surprised to learn that you could max out 20 Mbps with a single connection to a remote server on the Internet.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

With my 20 Mbps connection, I get around 730 Kbps

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

With my (rated at) 17Mbps connection I can max it out with just a few connections... I regularly get 2000KB/sec downloads from giganews with a couple of threads running. Plus my provider has some "speed booster" thing where the first few seconds of any connection are essentially uncapped, so I'm often downloading for a few seconds of 4-5MB / second. Firefox tends to hang for a few seconds when that happens.

Speaking of which, I downloaded a file off microsoft's site directly from the HTG server the other day... 3MB file in 0.01 seconds. (I found it entertaining)

Posted 5 years ago

Antman
Antman

My connection is pretty awesome and downthemall does max it out, but only when I download split archives from rapidshare. I do have it set to 10 simultaneous downloads, so maybe if I turn that down to 5 or something. I'll give that a try.

My isp is rolling out 50mb speeds early next year so that should also be even more awesome!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!