The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Firefox and Internet

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 783 times

tsmith777

I am running a Dell 8500 desktop and on the initial start up of Firefox and the Internet the computer takes a very long time to start both of the applications, once they get started they work fine it like they dont't want to wake up LOL. I also have a Toshiba x505-885 Qosmio Laptop that has almost the same applications installed and the internet and Firefox start immediately with no delay or lag. Does anyone know what might be the cause of the problem with the 8500? btw, I only have two add-ons running, Xmarks and Roboform. Thanks both are running win7 64bit.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Just something to try: Start > control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Appearance and Performance.... > Advanced Tab > Adjust For The Best Performance of Programs. If it's already set on Programs leave it.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

String, it is already set on Programs, I ran the Performance Information and the base score is 5.9, Before I ran it, it said new hardware detected, it was 5.9, and 5.9 after I re- ran it. The other settings were, Processor 7.7, Memory 7.8, Graphics 7.3, Gaming Graphics 7.3, Primary Hard Disc 5.9, Base score 5.9

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Have read and work through this:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-.....e-start-up

Try this FF version just to see if it makes a difference and we can eliminate see if it's FF or the computer...hopefully. :)

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

OR BACK UP THE BOOKMARKS AND EXTENSIONS AND REINSTALL FF.
(SORRy about the caps)
see if that helps should take all but like 5 minutes to get going again.

does it do the same when you run it without add-ons.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

String, I reset Ff per your link and that made no difference except I lost my Roboform password saver, I will checkout your other link to Comodo. Vistual, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled FF 3 times with no help. thanks though

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

String , I installed the Comodo Ice Dragon browser and it seems slightly faster but not by much. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That means it's Windows that's the problem. Try running in Command:

Chkdsk /f Press Enter. This will run on reboot but do the next before that.

Then enter sfc /scannow Press Enter. Let that run and then reboot which will run chkdsk. These two checks will make sure the files and filesystem are ok.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

String, I first ran sfc /scannow and that appeared to fix the problem, FF, Comodo and the Internet started much faster, I will run chkdsk c:/r later because as you know that takes a long time to complete, THANK you very much for your help, much appreciated, btw my Roboform also came back and works like it is supposted to.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Tom

You want to be using the /f switch although you can do it like this;

chkdsk /r /f Note the spaces

Chkdsk /f will do though. Make sure to put a space between chkdsk and /f

/f fixes bad files whereas /r locates bad sectors and attempts to recover them.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, I'll run it shortly, I thought it might be a Windows problem with the 8500 because my Toshiba with the same configaration works great

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's what i concluded when you installed Ice Dragon and didn't get much improvement.

I would advise you to get into the practice of imaging your computer because, from my experience, any OS gradually gets corrupted over time and it's good practice to refresh your system when things are getting a bit stodgy with a perfect image...saves a lot of head-scratching when you can update with a good image. I have a couple of images that are perfect that I don't often touch and I leapfrog three images, overwriting the oldest one, for my routine backup. If things aren't quite right I just pick one of those three images which just a require a quick Windows Update.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Could be the TCP/IP stack? Especially if you removed a program that hooked into it.

You CAN reset the stack, see HERE, however to be safe, make a system backup first. You might find some programs not working and needing to be re-installed.

Oh, my wife is on a Dell XPS 8500 and has no problems, both under W7 and W8, but that Dell 1/2 card 1703, USELESS, it was SLOW... had to replace it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, I ran chkdsk c:/r /f ( about 4 hours) and it replaced 9 bad clusters 7 in Control panel with a suffix of .chm, 1 in Windows Themes suffix .jpg, and 1 in Nivdia suffix 2. D:_.. I still don't see much inprovement especially FF and Comodo IceDragon, the internet seems to have a slight improvement. Irv, is there any danger I need to watch for in the Stack reset?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Ronnie create a Restore Point and then do it.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Ronnie?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

That seemed to help quite a bit, its still not as fast as it should be considering it has an i7 processor with 16gigs of memory and 1TB hard drive, I don't think. The Toshiba laptop is much faster and it is about 3 years old, this 8500 is only 6 months old. Thanks String, Irv and vistual for all your time and help

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Sorry Tom!

My mind was still in another thread.

All I can think of now is an' in-place' or 'repair install' which is to replace all your system files with new ones and get new updates. Not quite as time consuming as a clean install...2 or 3 hours....updates take the longest time. Your programs and files are untouched but it's advisable to back them up. Basically, you put the disk in and run it from within Windows not boot up with it. Have a look at this and see if you are up for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....stall.html

If you need a W7 disk, get it here and choose your version with SP1... 3GB size:

http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Burn it with this at 4x: http://www.softpedia.com/progD.....27810.html

If your internet connection keeps breaking as you download it use this download manager...it can resume when you lose connection. It's big download so it possible to happen:

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

Is everything fast outside of using the internet and browsers or is most of it retarded?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Everything except FF, Comodo and the Internet is very fast with no problems. I have the reinstall CD for windows operating system, would that be the same as your link?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yes that's good mate...use yours if it's a proper W7 disk. When I said back up your stuff before I mean personal stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!