SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Finding 3.5mm headset couplers/extenders? Or is there an easier way?

(24 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Ddelz
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 4045 times

Ddelz

So to start off, basically what I'm trying to do is use my 3.5mm headset with awesome sound on my Xbox 360. I want to use it as a headset and to pickup game audio, so I need to have it plugged into my controller and into my TV.

If you're unaware, 360 controllers take a 2.5mm plug, but converting that is simple. My problem is finding 3.5mm couplers that also support the headset's mic line. Here's a diagram I drew to show my original plan before I realized it's so hard to find the appropriate couplers/extenders.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Could you not go into your xbox mic settings and set it to play through speakers then if you plug it into your tvs headphone port you should get a chat signal

Owen

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

Yeah that's doable, but then how would my controller be getting my headset's mic pickup? No one could hear me, but I could hear them. :/

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

I think i have got confused is there 2 cables coming off your headset or one?

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

The headset has the one cable, with a mic built into it. Like modern 3.5mm headset cords. The cord however, is detachable (two male ends) so what if I did it like this? That way the mic input goes straight into the controller, and I can get audio from the TV without worrying about using special 3.5mm head couplers, extenders, ect. Just thought of this.

Pic:
http://img341.imageshack.us/im.....agram2.png

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Im fairly confident that should work

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

@Ddelz,
That does look like it will work, however, I think (not positive) that there could be some static or noise on the headphones

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

Aww, really? What would cause that? The whole point of doing this is to get the awesome sound quality my headphones produce. haha

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

The splitter could be trying to send mixed signals through the splitter (ex: microphone sound->game sound, game-sound->microphone sound). Also if the splitter you have/get doesn't support the 3 rings that are on the head phone jack, the microphone won't even work.

Headphone Jack w/out Microphone
Headphone Jack w/ Microphone

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

The mic cable only has the extra mic line on the one plug that goes into the controller. The end that goes into the headset/splitter only has the standard stereo plug. Sorry if I didn't explain it enough, but the mic itself is on the cable. You know, like a lot of cell-phone headsets with control-talk? Or the ear-bud headsets? That kinda thing.

So it should work noise-free then, right?

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

It sounds like it should work, but with all splitters, there could be some static in the background.

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

Oh thanks. Is there a technical term for a headset plug that has a mic? I'm having a hard time finding a 3.5mm to 2.5mm headset converter.
PLENTY of ebay sellers are claiming it's a "headset" plug, but you can tell from the pics that it's actually just a stereo plug with two channels and a ground. It seems like "headset" just means "stereo headphones". Where I'm from, a "headset" is a whole set, mic and "ear speakers".

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What is the make and model of your headset ?

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

Not sure how that's relevant, but it's a Beats by Dre Studio. And yes I know it's over-priced, I didn't buy it. lol

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You didn't give the actual model number.

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

That doesn't matter, at all... It takes a standard 3.5mm stereo cable that has a male end and is detachable. It also has a control-talk cable with a built in mic(in the cable) that allows it to be used as a headset.

Link:
http://beatsbydre.com/products.....&cat=1

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

I found this one, but it sounds like it converts the 2.5mm headset jack into a 3.5mm stereo jack and drops the mic?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1208201.....1497.l2649

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

The 2.5mm end has the 3 rings on the plug indicating that it supports microphone. This should work for converting 2.5mm to 3.5mm.

Posted 2 years ago

Ddelz

Yes I saw that, but based on it's item description it converts the 2.5mm mic compatible plug converts into a 3.5mm stereo-only female jack.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Oops I missed that. That converter does look like it could drop the mic.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!