The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Find Leftover Files After Program Uninstall

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by stitchfancy
  • Latest reply from stitchfancy
  • Topic Viewed 17018 times

stitchfancy

I just uninstalled a program on my puter (running Vista Home Prem ver.) and at the end I got a popup telling me the uninstall was not able to remove all the files and they would need to be removed manually. How do I find these files in Vista?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ is an excellent application that should be able to help you out.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Revouninstaller (it's free and compatible with VISTA and you can get it here http://www.revouninstaller.com/) will remove all the registry remnants and also the desktop and folder remnants of a program.

However, if you've already removed the program via Control Panel or it's own uninstall program (which are the same anyway), then you probably won't be able to use Revo because there won't be any listing for the program.

But the next time you want to uninstall something, use Revo instead of the incomplete removal with Control Panel or the program's uninstall feature.

As far as removing the remnants that the popup is telling you about, the best thing I can suggest is just to look at your C:\Program Files folder (wait a minute . . . I have XP, and it may be different in VISTA) and see if you recognize anything from that program.

But this may be a unique VISTA issue, so you might want to wait until a VISTA person chimes in here.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi stitchfancy. You will probably have to re-install the program first. And then un-install it with Revo.
BTW. What program is it?

Posted 5 years ago

stitchfancy

Hi Back to ya! Betcha tho't you'd seen the last of me (haha) no way! Weeelllllll the program was SpyBot, which I have always heard good things about. However it seems there was some kind of something called "tea-time.exe" and when I was logging off, this wonderful little popup appeared saying this tea-timer thing would not let me shut down my computer. Then to add insult to injury, everytime I clicked ok on the popup it put another copy of it on my desktop......I must've had 10 of those darned things sitting there stacked on top of the prev. one. So I say, ok you little whatcha-ma-call-it, I'll fix you, I'll just uninstall you - which was ok but, the little popups stayed fixed on top of everything else blocking the uninstall from view. I was able to drag the popup to another area on the desktop - but it would put another one in it's place - O' Lord - Why Me? (I think I heard a voice saying "Why not YOU! :)....) Finally, I just pulled the plug and went for a cup of coffee. When I booted back up I got scolded for shutting down improperly but, the popups were all gone. Then I went back to do the uninstall and got the message about remnant files still there.

Soooooo How's your morning going - or is it dinner time for you!

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

That is very unusual for Spybot and tea-timer to give problems, sounds like one of the tea-time files became corrupted. I'd install ther Revo Uninstaller and then re-install Spybot and tea-timer, then run the Revo Unistaller to get rid of any and all files. If you want, you can install Spybot without installing tea-timer as well, it's an option during the install that is set to install by default, just watch for it and unselect it.

As for my morning, about two blocks from work a nice little old lady decided to run a red light and totaled (we assume) my car. Outside of that everything has been ok so far...

Posted 5 years ago

stitchfancy

EGADS Budohoreman - I hope you don't live far from work (if you have to walk home) I'm just kidding - Don'tcha just love Monday????????

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Oh yes, just wonderful Monday. Sadly, I live about 35 miles (55 km) from work. Still need to get myself a rental, deal with insurance etc. I just may well take tomorrow off (or maybe a 1/2 day) to take care of some of this garbage.

Posted 5 years ago

stitchfancy

I am really sorry about your car - but since you didn't mention anyone being seriously hurt - just keep in mind it could have been worse. A car can be replaced.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!