How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

FileHippo . . .

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 2466 times

BobJam
BobJam

I've noticed that a few folks on here, particularly you, LH, refer to filehippo a lot. I visited the site and was clicking around and saw that the login is private, though they said "public" registrations will be available later. Not knowing the secret handshake, and being a member of "public", I wasn't able to login of course.

Nevertheless, it doesn't appear that you need to login just to download any of the software shown, so what does the "logee" get??

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I don't even know what you are talking about. I have downloaded stuff from there many times and I have seen other people do the same. I never knew or saw a "registration".

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

BobJam. I don't think that Registration/Login has ever worked for us mortals. So I have no idea what benefits there would be.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

i too consistently use file hippo without ever registering.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

whs,

This is what I mean by "registration":

"Registration" may have been a poor choice of word . . . I mean that "Username" and "Password" stuff.

Like I said in my original post, "it doesn't appear that you need to login just to download any of the software shown", and everybody in this thread (including yourself) has confirmed my guess.

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

i myself have never had to log in, so i would no worry

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

NO, I'm not worrying . . . just curious.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

OH . . . one more question about Filehippo. Do they "guarantee" (of course that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen) that the software they host is adware and spyware free, or is it caveat emptor??

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I believe they get their "stock", directly from the authors.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

"All software is 100% spyware and virus free." This according to the About page is hardly a guarantee. Which download site does give a guarantee and what do they provide as a remedy if you become infected from their software?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

BobJam, I think someone said recently: "He who seeks problems, finds problems" - or something like that. But I have to admit, I never noticed that "Login" before.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

ScottW,

Two that come to mind are CNET and MajorGeeks. But neither really has a "guarantee" per se.

CNET says "Safe, Trusted, and Spyware free"

MajorGeeks says "MajorGeeks.com - The Original Spyware Free Download Site."

But you're right . . . all that is just advertising BS, and hardly a guarantee. And you're right on about there being no real remedy. Sometimes the boring EULA has a paragraph buried in it about the free software containing adware for revenue, but who reads all the way through EULA's?? Most of us just click on "I Agree".

So, whether it's CNET, MajorGeeks, or whoever, it's really caveat emptor no matter what. The only way to halfway "guarantee" yourself is to ask other people who have used it, like the people on this site, if they had any problems because of it.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think there are a couple on file hippo that have spyware add-ons in side them that you can choose to install or not but they state it in the description though

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!