The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

File won't empty from trash

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Trigger
  • Latest reply from dudeFromSpace
  • Topic Viewed 1212 times

Trigger

As with every other morning or so I come and visit the howtogeek.com pages and browse around. I was really interested in the Tux Geek: Fix your music article and downloaded the programming and was fiddling around with Picard. After I installed it I removed the file from the desktop folder into the trash. Now I can't delete this folder. I get the following errors:

There was an error deleting lib.linux-i686-2.5. Error removing file: Permission denied

There was an error deleting temp.linux-i686-2.5. Error removing file: Permission denied

How can I force these two file to delete? I've already tried "sudo apt-get remove picard" and removed it and still it won't let me delete.

Posted 5 years ago

Brazilianboiii
Brazilianboiii

Are you loged in an Admin account on your computer?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You can't delete the trash folder, or empty it?

Typically you'd use a command like this to delete something that you didn't normally have permission to delete:

sudo rm -f filename.ext

But you should be careful with that command, don't delete something you shouldn't be.

Posted 5 years ago

Trigger

I moved the folder with the files in it to the trash and now it won't delete from the trash. It won't allow me to do anything the the previously mentioned files that are in that folder in the trash.

Posted 5 years ago

dudeFromSpace

Hi Trigger,

Try this: log in as root (use su) and type "rm -rf /home/your_username/.Trash/file_to_remove", or more forcefully you can empty the whole trashcan by "rm -rf /home/your_username/.Trash/*".

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!