The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - File transfer from Vista to XP

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mononcle64
  • Latest reply from mononcle64
  • Topic Viewed 1262 times

mononcle64

I recently changed op system from Vista to XP. I used the files and settings transfer wizard for nearly 10 gigs of pictures, now XP wont read the files. I have 3 dvds and each has an image burned on them. I copied those images into my pictures folder but the MIG files are unreadable. Please help! these pictures are of my daughters from the day they were born up until present day. Thank you

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

mononcle64 hi, give this a try,
http://www.visser.com.au/blog/.....-transfer/
Make a backup of your files before you try.

Posted 2 years ago

mononcle64

MigRecover.exe-Unable to locate Component...This application has failed to start because WDSCORE.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. Thank you for responding, That was quick. I even tried opening Mig recover after extracting to C:\ and the same message about WDSCORE came up.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It was a long shot, but worth a try. I will do some more research.

Posted 2 years ago

mononcle64

Thank you very much. I believe the WDSCORE.dll relates to Vista. I am not sure. What if I brought the 3 DVDS with the MIG files to someone who was running Vista. Could I transfer them onto their computer? Although I know no one who runs Vista. It was just a thought.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

wdscore.dll is certainly in Vista.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

But he's trying to go from Vista to XP. The filke would have to be on the XP computer. The best solution, of course would be to restore the files and settings to a computer with Vista on it. The Settings from Vista would not work on XP anyway. One always must use the Files and settings program from the system you are going to. But it is designed to go upward and not back.

You need to find someone with a vista computer that will let you restore your files to. If you can find no other way, I would be glad to try to do it for you. I have Vista computers that I could use without fear of damage. But, of course I would only want to try it with copy of your disks not the originals. My email address is in my profile.

Another solution would be a computer shop/geek in your area that would do it for you.

Posted 2 years ago

mononcle64

Lighthouse. You are a genius! All I had to do is grab WDSCORE.dll on the internet and insert into Migrecovery folder. I was able to extract the files, The only problem is that I have to rename every picture with a jpg extension or I cannot see the thumbnails properly. Do I have to do this one by one or is there a way to rename all the file with a jpg extension?

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!