The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - File transfer and internet between two PCs

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Antman
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 1058 times

Antman

I have a home network of two computers, one is Vista Business x86 and one is Windows 7 Professional x86. I have a cable broadband connection and a wireless router. Until recently I had the cable going straight into the router from the modem, then an ethernet cable into the Vista PC, which is in the room where the cable comes into the house. So the Vista PC gets the internet from the wireless router but from its ethernet port, and the router broadcasts wifi to the Windows 7 machine in another room.

I had noticed that the file transfer over the wireless N network was really lousy, and decided to invest in a decent CAT6 network cable and two gigabit PCI cards, one for each PC. So today I installed the PCI cards and connected the two computers, but when I did a file transfer to test it out, it was just going at the same speed as before. I have installed the drivers and the adapters are showing up on both machines. I read something about bridging the two connections (the wireless and wired adapters) on each individual machine, but after doing that on one, when I did it on the other PC it said I had an IP conflict as another computer on the network had the same IP address or something like that.

Does anybody know how I can keep using the wifi just for internet and use the wired connection just for file transfers?

I don't want to share the internet if that means having to always have both machines on. I want to be able to turn either machine on independently to use the internet, but when both machines are on I want to be able to transfer files at gigabit LAN speeds.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent

Is the wireless on the other computer turned off so that you are only using the wired connection? Also, if the router is not gigabit then you'll still only get 10/100 speeds.

I have a gigabit switch and cat6 wiring in my place....file transfers still suck if you ask me. I think it's a VIsta/Windows 7 issue. Don't get me wrong, it's much faster than a regular 10/100 network....but still not fast enough in my book. I get an avg of 45MB/s on file transfers between PCs.

Posted 4 years ago

Antman

Thanks. I get 2.5MB on my wifi so I'll take 45MB in a heartbeat.

The wifi is still on. Do I need to disable that completely?

Also, the router is only broadcasting wifi. The computers are connected through dedicated PCI cards. Would the router still dictate how fast a seperate wired connection is?

Posted 4 years ago

Antman

OK I tried to bridge the networks again starting wiht the Vista then the Windows 7 and it worked! Wifi is still on and file transfers were right around 45MB/s like you said. Thanks for your help anyway.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent

Rock on :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.