The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) ~ File System Error (65535)

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Lougi
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 19140 times

Lougi

Well, after modifying the imageres.dll in System32 to gain ownership to use a theme, things have hit the fan.

Icons in folders no longer show. The Control Panel shows up blank, and absolutely nothing can be launched without getting this error.

I've searched and searched, but have yet to find a solution. I've tried renaming the file to its origina. I've tried booting from the Vista disc. This simply boots Vista normally, even if I have no second boot device. I have tried booting into Safe Mode to no avail. My F8 will not work for the life of me. System Restore will not work, as I get the same error. I've tried powering down manually using the surge protector to get the prompt, but... wait for this. My keyboard ceases to work and does not allow me to select any options for booting.

I'm running out of options here and I'm getting very frustrated. Needless to say, I'm never again going to even attempt using a theme that requires modification of any System files.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Lougi, hello. You can boot to safe mode without using the F8 key. Follow these instructions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....he-f8-key/

One reason that F8 won't work is when using a USB keyboard with legacy USB support disabled in the BIOS.

Posted 5 years ago

Lougi

You are a lifesaver for bringing up that BIOS setting. Flipped that on, and bingo. F8, Safe Mode, sfc /scannow, fixed.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Great news! I'm glad that worked for you.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.