The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - failed external hard drive

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pisces14850
  • Latest reply from pisces14850
  • Topic Viewed 623 times

pisces14850

Not sure which forum to post this, but I'm running Win Vista, so I'll put it here. I have a WD My Book. It decided to just up and die...no warning signs. After some research I purchased a universal drive adapter thinking that I would be able to access the drive and get my files off the drive. However, this isn't doing the trick. In order to read the drive, does it have to spin? I've removed it from the case to hook it up via the adapter. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Either the original WD My Book adapter was faulty, or the disk itself is the problem. By using another adapter you should be able to solve the first problem.

Please could you post a link (or upload an image) of what you have purchased? I assume it's a SATA to USB adapter, and that you opened the WD My Book enclosure, extracted the hard drive, and connected it with the new adapter you purchased. Is that right?.

If the disk won't spin up when connected to the second adapter then probably the disk itself is faulty in some way. I don't know what you could do then.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs

It has to spin in order to be operational.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

You could try sticking it in the freezer for a couple of hours, or in the the fridge overnight (in both cases securely enclosed in a plastic bag) and then try it again as soon as you take it out.
But that is a very slim chance. If the motor has died, it will need to be replaced. If it is the motor circuitry, that is a different matter.

Posted 1 year ago

oliverpowell

First and foremost important thing to make your hard operational is to come up with the faulty hard drive equipment's and replace the same. Perhaps, you aren't a professional so take help from experts as any failed attempts could make your hard drive data permanent non recoverable.
The above mentioned steps are also performed by data recovery professionals to make it operational one more time so that the data can be recovered.

If the data is important and you can't live without it, send it to data recovery firm and they will salvage your data once you agree to pay bunch of money.
Top data recovery firms are:
Stellar Phoenix
Kroll on Track
Drivesavers

Good Luck!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs

LOL - the fridge/freezer method that Lighthouse recommends may sound strange. But I have fixed a couple of devices that way. Works on stubburn USB sticks too. Learned that from LH a few years ago.

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

ok, thanks for everyone's input. here is the link for the universal adapter i used : http://www.amazon.com/NewerTec.....ve+adapter

yes, i removed the drive from its external hard case. yes the data is important (and now I will always have more than one backup!) but I don't have $800+ to spend attempting to retrieve it. I will attempt the freezer trick - I came across that in the research i've done. After all the research, what I couldn't determine was whether or not any of the recovery attempts were made on drives that weren't recognized via Computer Management (and didn't appear to be spinning). I think you all have answered that.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.