The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

factory settings restore on sony vaio

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by eddiekaiger
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 5070 times

eddiekaiger

I have a sony vaio laptop and i really need to restore it to factory settings but when i press f8 at startup and get the system recovery options, all i get is:

Startup Repair
System Restore (i have no restore points)
System Image Recovery (i have no images to restore to)
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt

What can I do?

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

hi eddiekaiger, have you a hidden recovery partition, click ... > start ... > r\click on computer ...> on the drop down click manage on computer management screen click disk management (under storage) can you see a recovery partition ? post back.

Posted 4 years ago

eddiekaiger

I'm sorry, maybe I forgot to mention that I have Windows 7, because I'm not following you. I open start > Computer> ...and what drop down is there? I see my hard disk drive HD (C:) but thats it. Can you be a little more specific?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi eddiekaiger, What marks100 suggested is to rt click on the computer icon on your desktop. A drop down box will open. Click on "manage", a computer management window will open up. Look on the left side to "Disk Management" Dbl click on this and it will display all your computers drives. You should see "C" drive plus a small Win7 OEM partition and if you have a recovery partition you will see another partition. Hope this helps

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

eddiekaiger

I tried but I have a virus that doesn't let me open any application, even Internet, which is why I'm trying to recover it to factory settings. Maybe you might know of way to get rid of the virus? But I would rather just recover it to factory settings if that is possible.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

run a scan with this http://download.cnet.com/Malwa.....04572.html

post back you have to get rid of that virus. EDIT:post back with results, what security are you useing ?

Posted 4 years ago

marks100
marks100

have you access to another pc, if so download the above link to usb, then insert into your infected machine, then run a scan.

EDIT:if not plug a ethernet lead into your pc\laptop inter in safe mode with internet connection, download melawarebytes, run scan.

post back.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I do not recommend you start connecting up machines if 1 is infected. You don't want it to spread.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.