The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Factory Reset Dell Studio 1555

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LJK
  • Latest reply from Bumpkin
  • Topic Viewed 2495 times

LJK

Well, recently I was updating my itunes library, just the simple songs to ipod business, when my laptop shut down unexpectedly. It was very hot to touch and has been known to occasionally shut down due to overheating. yet upon reboot I was greeted with this message:
windows failed to start. To fix insert installation disk and restart. Select repair...
file:\windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
info:missing or corrupt

so, there havent been any updates or system changes for a while now and i cant get anything up but the boot menus and even then the repair option is missing. I dont have any disks or clue what to do now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Check out How to Make a Windows 7 or Vista Repair Disk If You Don’t Have One See if that will help you to repair your system.

If you need to create a Vista Install disk check out [Direct Download Links] Download Official, Original and Untouched Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).
You will, of course have to create these disks from another computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Bumpkin

Go to Dell Support and enter your Service Tag, it's on a sticker on your machine.

If you want to restore to factory install, as it was when you bought it, you will find the info, be aware it will wipe out all your files and programs you installed.

You can order the Dell discs to install your OS if the factory install does not work. They are usually free and Dell normally gets them to you in a day or two.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!