The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

"Extreme" zipping?

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mkdniki
  • Latest reply from Marksheet
  • Topic Viewed 375 times

mkdniki

Well I need to zip my 4Gb ISO file to less than 1Gb (to put it on usb stick). I use WinZip, but I it doesn't compress the files so much. Is there any program that can do the job? I've seen whole HD movies (aprox. 4Gb) compressed to only 20-30Mb, so I know this method is possible.
Thanks guys!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/mpeg-2 Maybe something like this.

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

Actually I don't want conversion for movies. I only gave an example how the method works, to better understand me.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.ehow.com/how_750547.....r-1gb.html This.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

That ratio I have never seen before! 4 into 1 on a .iso just does not compute and even if it did expand the corruption would be enormous.
Also, never seen a HD 4gb compressed the mbs you quoted above.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

A program that could compress that much should be called The Tardis or The Black Hole! :)

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

Guys, even I've been wondering how it's possible, so I asked you if you know the method.
@warlock, the method in the link looks interesting. I always thought they do with some kind of program, not with DOS. Anyway thanks for the help!

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Here's a comparison:

http://file-compression-softwa.....-test.html

Posted 1 year ago

marks100
marks100

you could split it then compress, then un -zip and rejoin with the same program you used to split .......... maybe ! , only an idea.

edit : the only prob is as said before the size to comparison.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

With my little knowledge of it: If we compress a picture with lots of similar pixels in it the compression algorithm can remove them with no damage to the image when decompressed but if more compression is applied you will start to lose important pixels. This can be easily demonstrated by repeatedly saving a jpeg image...it gets grainier and less vibrant colour-wise with each save. As an aside, if you are going to work on a jpeg or jpg photo it is best to save a copy first in a lossless format first, like TIFF or PNG and work on that and then resave as jpeg or jpg. PNG is pretty widespread now so one might as well stay with that once done.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Compressing an iso 4 to 1 is not possible. There are not enough 'equal' data strings. That is different in e.g. a picture where you have a lot of the same pixels e.g. in the background.

Posted 1 year ago

Corcovado

I use B1 Free Archiver (b1.org) and totally satisfied with it. But still I am not sure if it manages to compress files to the extent you've mentioned, but anyway give it a try maybe smth good will come from it.

Posted 1 year ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

mkdniki,

Use KGB Archiver dude... It compresses like hell !! But, it takes time and requires power... So, if you own a not-so-powerful pc (like me), don't try it. By not-so-powerful I mean your RAM is less than 1 GB, and processor speed less than 1.4 GHz. Use at your own risk.

Also, you can give UHARC a try. But it's command line based. So, use the software called WINUHA. I haven't used it, but you can try it... I heard it's good.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!