The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Extracting the Driver from an exe file

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Alucard
  • Latest reply from Alucard
  • Topic Viewed 668 times

Alucard

Specifically I am looking to get (i think a bin) the driver for a dvd drive from an exe file.

my problem is that I would like revert my dvd drive IHAS 424B back to a previous fw GL1A. Windows updated it to GL1B.
When i try to run the exe file for GL1A I get an errror saying it is for the wrong drive, that I have IHAS 424B GL1B (i read this to mean that it doesnt want to allow me to go back to an old firmware)

I have a utility to revert the drive back but it requires a bin file.

This forum had a post (4 years old...) that suggested:

jd2066
jd2066
Author

Unfortunately, due the amount of threads on this forum and the small amount of regular posters it is not possible for all the questions to be answered within 1 day or even a few days in some cases.
I agree it is a little disappointing when a thread isn't answered within a day though but that is how things work.
To answer your question you can use a program like 7-Zip to extract files from exe archives.
Here is how with 7-Zip:
1. Download and install 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.org/
2. Open 7-Zip and browse to the folder containing the exe.
3. Right click on the exe file and click "Open Inside".
4. Double click a folder inside if needed to get to the files.
5. Select the files you need by clicking on them while holding down the ctrl key.
6. Right click on the selected files and click "Copy To".
7. Type a path or click on the "..." button to browse for a folder.
8. Click Ok.
Posted 4 years ago #

I tried this method but couldnt find a bin nor anything that i know how to use.

Exe obtained from official source:
http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite.....files.html

So to rehash my actual question what is the easiest way to go back to the previous Driver version GL1A from the currently installed GL1B.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....us-version

Posted 2 years ago

Alucard

Thanks for the response,

My rollback button is greyed out, and ive tried deleting the driver, then running my exe but in that scenario the exe reports that it can not find a compatible drive to install the exe to.

i also tried deleting the driver from the system32/driver folder and disconnecting the internet but when windows installed the device it had the Gl1b driver that I dont want (trying to get GL1A)

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Windows updated it to GL1B.
You said this, can you restore back to a time before the update?

http://www.magiciso.com/tutori.....simage.htm Never used needed or tried this site. If your at your wits end and want to it is at your own risk. Personally I would wait if you can to see if others here have an answer for you.

Posted 2 years ago

Alucard

I assume windows did it because the box has a July manufacture date and the website of the manufacture says that the firmware I have was released this month...

warlock: as far as I can tell...no. atleast nothing I have tried has worked i cant understand how it could have shipped to me today with a fw that supposedly went live today..but after trying to reinstall it 3 times, w/o internet, after deleting driver, after going into the system32 to remove driver...im not understanding how else I have GL1B unless windows grabbed it during the "setup process"

caveat: I can most certainly be wrong haha

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

What is wrong with the driver you now have?

Posted 2 years ago

Alucard

I am looking to flash over the GL1A with another FW that allows extra capacity beyond recommended disc size (with the more expensive discs).

The FW makers recommend using GL1A which makes me hesitant to patch over GL1B. I havent tried using after market FW, so Im trying to stay as close to the advice as possible.

I might just try it anyway, since I cant seem to figure it out. Drive was only $25 so if I ruin it I guess $25 lesson and have to look for something different.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

I don't think you will ruin anything. See if it works.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Since it is a firmware. The update is a program or instructions written into the EPROM of the drive. So it is has nothing to do with drivers in device manager. Windows have native driver support for this device.

I am not sure how Windows updated the firmware. Maybe you have downloaded and run Lite-on's "Smartpack" which detected an older firmware and automatically updated your device's firmware.

About the GL1A.exe file on your link above, downloaded it but 7zip returns "file is broken" errosr when I try to access it (open, extract, test).

Posted 2 years ago

Alucard

interesting info G41M, I just plugged and played the drive and i didnt download or install any liteon sofware so that ones still a mystery for me

Anyway gave it a shot and successfully flashed over the newer firmware and was able to unlock 8.7gb on verb DL disks. so YaY! to not wasting two disks to burn 8.6 GBs per movie copy.

Thanks for the help.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.