(Solved) - Extracting Logo

(37 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 2394 times

vistual
vistual

definitely some progress.
you can see that with a little tweaking and experimenting you can get it.

always been on my to-do list - to learn how to use gimp. its just ive gotten so used to paint.net that the few times i had gimp loaded - i was LOST!

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

From a user perspective Gimp is a mess and very unintuitive in it's layout...I hate all the panels ..In its next major incarnation the developers are going to give it the option of a single interface which will make make it better in my opinion. It'll never be better than Photoshop though because it's simply got the money behind it. I prefer Paint.net for most of my arty work although it doesn't have Gimp's scope.

It would be great if someone can pin down in Paint how Hatryst did it....I'll keep trying. :)

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Sorry I'm late, time zone differences :)
Okay, so here's how I did it

Saved the image you posted earlier (one with the gradient background)
Opened it up in PS

Used 'selective colour' to make a selection of the greenish background (i learned how to do it here)

Then I extracted the logo from the background, and applied the first blending option: Bevel and emboss. No settings altered, kept settings default

Then applied 'Contour', for more 3D effect. Default settings

This is what it looks like, before the green layer is turned on

Voila...

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Thanks very much for taking the time out to put that tutorial together Hatryst I appreciate it. :D All I need to do now, in the absence of having PS, is to try and cobble those various effects together with the software I have; Gimp and Paint.net. I might just splash out on PS Elements if it's got those same controls in it.

Cheers

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

ZakirAhmed
ZakirAhmed

Sorry I'm late, time zone differences :)
LOL Only kidding.
Anyway, here's a similar thing in Paint.NET, though the result is not as close as good as photoshop as there aren't many options.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-rQJCs-Klw

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

ZakirAhmed

Thanks for that wicked video tutorial. Although the effect is not as striking as with PS it's still very nice and I would be more than pleased with it that way.

Thanks again. :)

Tony

@Mods

I wonder if it would be worth having a separate "Imaging" section where people could ask questions in a similar vein to mine?

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

thank you for taking the time ZakirAhmed.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I've just found this Paint.net plugin pack with 421 effects...might find what I need here but will be good to have anyway:

http://paint.net.amihotornot.c.....uginsPack/

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Just had a play with the Bevel Selection tool (Effects > Selection > Bevel Selection) in that pack I pointed to...it's quite fine controllable. Here's a quick go with it...it's not perfect yet but has the potential to get it like Hatryst's. One thing I've done here is get the RGB figures of the yellow (R = 214 G =217 B = 66) and input those into the RGB boxes of the shadow and highlight controls the same then made each parameter darker or lighter with each slider as required...you can see the two tones in the RGB boxes instead of the default black and white. The depth of bevel is controllable as well.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

That looks pretty nice, Tony. Is there any other 3D effect or something you can apply alongside the bevel?

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

What sort of effect/control should I be looking for Hatryst?

The original image is only 20mm off a notice and done with a 9600 dpi scan. I really need to print and trace the image and make a more solid and smooth new 'original' to get it perfect.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Try increasing the depth of the bevel. That would do the trick, I hope so.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I've increased the bevel and metallised it. Paint.net with that pluginpack is pretty comprehensive now. If I wanted to make it really perfect I need to redo the source image by hand. The original is a scan of a 20mm image!

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Oh, that seems messed up, isn't it?
EDIT: I'm sorry but I'm unable to understand what you mean by 'scan' ?

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

How do you mean messed up? I used my scanner to scan the logo on a letter that was 20mm in size...the resulting edges in a magnified are not as good as I'd like so to get it really sharp I need to manually trace a print with some transparent film and pen, then scan that. The metallic effect is not bad but an opaque glassy one would be better looking at it now...the possibilities are endless. :)

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I mean, have a look at the image in your last post. It looks like something has malfunctioned, why is it black from the sides in no particular symmetry?
Or is it the metallic effect you applied? :)
(because at first glance, it looks a bit, different...)

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

It's the metallic effect. there are couple of controls on it that you can play with...one changes the apparent light angle. I applied the metal after increasing the bevel... it's probably increased the shadow contrast the black...I'm only playing about. :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!