How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - Extracting Logo

(37 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 2394 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

How do I extract and save my fishing club's logo from the background so when I put it on another page the background shows between the non coloured parts. The logo is simple and one colour. I have Paint.net. I think it needs to be on some sort of transparent layer.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I remember correctly .PNG files support the color in the upper left pixel being the base for the transparent layer. But it's been a long time and I may be remembering it incorrectly. Try this Google search, it shows many hits for making transparent backgrounds in Paint.Net.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

After deleting all the areas I don't want and saving it as PNG then I select all and transfer the image on to a new page with colour the background is white when it should be yellow.

How do I move it to another page with that page's colour in the background?

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

StringJunky,
is this sorted? - i never saw this.
i'd like to help.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi vistual

Yes, but not the way I desired it to be done. I eventually filled in the interior with the colour the same as the target page using Magic Wand (to select areas) and Colour Picker (to copy target colour) in Paint.net and a paint brush to colour selected areas and then after cut a square around it and then pasted it to the page. The technique I really want to know is to be able to move just the black parts like it was on a transparency and the gaps would automatically fill with the page colour I moved it to.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

you mean so that the background color shows straight through like so? .....

if thats what you meant then we can do it over but post the original so that i have more to wok with - if i misunderstood - please explain again.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's right.

Can you explain how to do it? I'm not using it at the moment but it has bugged me why I can't do it. Thanks.

I have Paint.net.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

well my friend - i have to tell you that you already did it yourself.

the only thing you failed to do was save the image as PNG. you saved it as jpeg which does not retain transparency, whereas PNG does.
so do whatever you did to remove whatever colors there were / backgrounds / etc.,etc.. just as you did before so that you see all those little gray and white boxes and when done - go to file > save as > select PNG.
done

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Vistual

Gotcha! Will give it a go. Jpeg's a rubbish format really for working with but it's just habit. :)

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

You were right! :D

Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

The way I really wanted to do it as you've told me now allows me to do this with a graduated background that the other way didn't.

More interesting than the one above isn't it?

Thanks again Vistual.

How would I go about making the yellow 3D like it was painted in a smooth thick paint on Glass so it had a sort rounded profile? Might be called Bas Relief.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

looks good. you got it.

i'd have to look around online for instructions on how to pull off that other effect you were looking for. if i find anything ill post it here for sure.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

OK thanks vistual.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

That's my favourite discussion going on, I dropped in a bit late, still in time for some help :)

So, we need Yellow 3D? Kinda' like THIS?

The quality of this may not be very good, just copied your image, and applied some bevel+contour to the yellow part
I used photoshop, but I hope you'll be able to do this in GIMP, or even in Paint.net

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yo Hatryst! U da Man! How u do dat? :D

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

that looks great Hatryst!!
is there a way to achieve that effect in paint.net. please post back

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I haven't heard of paint.net. Never used that. I just used photoshop :)
GIMP 'might' do this, since it has almost the same capabilities as photoshop

Posted 3 years ago

ZakirAhmed
ZakirAhmed

Just to make it clear, GIMP is also freeware like Paint.NET. Hatryst, if you tell me how you done this, perhaps I can tell them whether it's possible in Paint.NET, just because I use both photoshop and Paint.NET (but for smaller projects though).

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

ZakirAhmed,
hi - he said he "applied some bevel+contour to the yellow part". those were his exact words.

thanks for chiming in. maybe you can shed some light since youre familiar with both ps & paint.net.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I just did this with the bevel tool in Gimp but it's not as good as hatryst's:

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!