How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

external vs. internal hard drive

(26 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 7158 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

my question is when you run programs off of a external hard drive do they run slower that if you ran the off of the internal hard drive. or would it depend more on what you are trying to run on it

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It depends on the speed of the external drive and what you want to run from it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

how would i know how fast it is?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

The device speed (data read/write speed) would be in the specs of the device. Assuming that is attached via USB 2, the maximum transfer rate is 480Mbps. On firewire 400 or 800 Mbps and 1500Mbps for eSATA ports.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Actual speeds on my Dell Inspiron read
copying from internal disk partition C to internal disk partition D = around 15 mbs
copying from internal disk partition D to internal disk partition C = 6-12 mbs
To and from internal drive (C or D partition) (External disk 1) = around 12 mbs
To and from internal drive (C or D partition) (External disk 2) = 15-19 mbs
These are all cheap IDE drives
So, as they say, go figure!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

If you write from C: to D: you have a lot of arm movement because you are on the same physical disk. The slower speed from D: to C: is problably because the file(s) had a different structure (small versus large, more fragmentation). Writing from the internal disk to the external disk should be faster than the first 2 cases because of the better continuity of the arm movements. And since you are way below the maximum USB speed, the data channel is no bottleneck. Conclusion: Writing from one disk to another is faster than writing from one disk partition to another disk partition on the same disk - reason: arm movement.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Exactly.
Ooops just re-read the OP

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

so is it usually a good idea to just run things from the normal drive (games, bigger programs) and just run smaller ones from the external?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Run everything from the internal drive
I run a ton of programs from the C: drive (which is only 30Gb)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, I would not run programs off an external drive. Rather put bulky data there (e.g. Videos, Music, data backups)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok. but what is wrong with running things from the external drive? i haven't had any problems

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

There's nothing wrong with it, you just typically have better speeds running programs from the C drive and use the external for storage.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i get it now thx for everyones input

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Nice explice monsieur

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, I second Budohorseman. If you are happy running programs from the external, it's ok. Just a little odd. No big deal.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

why would it be odd i just created a programs folder like the one on the c: and every thing still loads in the start menu just fine so they are basicly the same

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, by "odd" I mean that this not something one typically does. But it's ok - this is a free country. If you like this setup, nothing wrong with it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

just thought you meant odd as in file placement or something along those lines

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Jack, it is just typical to run the programs from internal drives and use external ones for storage (pics, docs, video, backups etc). About the only time most people put a program on an external drive is if they need to be able to run it on multiple pc's but don't want to install it on the other pc. I run my poker programs from my external drive, that way when I'm out on business I can just bring that external drive along and play my games without having to install the programs on my employers laptop (I doubt that they would approve of that ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i guess that i just like to keep my main hard drive less filled with programs

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!