How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

External Multimedia HDD (mobile media HD): can't access my files from a network

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by farafiro
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1035 times

farafiro

Hi

I have the below problem with my WIN 7 Ultimate (posted in http://social.answers.microsof.....be41b1ca85 ), thanks in advance:

I have a 500GB external media player (Imation) which is connected to my Linksys router (WAG 160N), this router is connected to the PC (desktop), all wired. The media center should see the shared files and partitions on my pc, this was working perfect with Vista, but now no show at all. I played around with the Change Sharing Options For Different Network Profiles but no luck (I turned off the password protected sharing and turned on everything else). can anyone help??
(This was solved, I am just posting it for the sake of knowing the whole issue):
Another part of this problem is that in the manual it says that I can map the media HDD, I assigned an IP address for it (dynamic and also tried the static) but I always get The Network Name Is No Longer Available, this problem was there also with Vista, although the ping to this IP is successful.

[Solves by] Turning the firewall off solved 50% of the problem, now I am able to map the media HDD, however just to tell you how, after turning of the firewall Windows didn't accept mapping by the IP address but by folders (i.e. \\192.168.x.xxx\shared files), but this worked.

Now, the other part, I still can't see my PC shared files, I can't find an updated version of the Transcode Server, but I managed to edit the group policy (gpedit.msc) >> user configuration >> Shared Folders >> Allow user files to be published -- to enabled, and now the HDD can see the PC link on it "WORKGROUP" >> “PC Name”, however it asks for a user name and password, I turned off the password for protected sharing and there is no password, I tried the HOMEGROUP password with my user name but it didn't work. Any Idea on how to disable the password?? In Vista, I was able to do it after turning the password off (by editing the network security).

Just for the record, Imation don't reply to the email ;)

Posted 5 years ago

farafiro

anyone??

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I have a similar problem, but I'm using a LinkSys WRT350N which is a Storage Link Router. The router causes me problems if I have it on the same network name. Problems are mostly W7 (and I had it on Vista too before upgrading) with respect to seeing the rest of the network. I solved that by putting the router name as a different network on the storage link tab in the router set-up. Still, I can NOT access the storage link unless I provide a password. Otherwise, even if I don't set a password on the storage link, I can't get to it as I'm always asked for a password. So I set one and I can connect to the drive and see everything and have complete access. If I needed access every time I turned on the computer, I'd create a BAT file of a NET USE command and start it via start up.

Sorry, no help, but it is something I couldn't make work and have an alternative way when I want to use it.

I do not think your problem is with the disk but the router. Have you tried contacting LinkSys/Cisco?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

farafiro

Thanks Irv

I solved this part same as you did (with the mapping thing), my problem is - I think - from WIN7, as it insists to provide a user/ password to log on to it, even if it's disabled from the network sharing options

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

The only way I can connect to the storage link without a password is to use the DEFAULTS, that is Admin and Guest. I tried using my machine name and the other machine name to share specific parts of the disk, needed a p/w. My WRT350N is fairly old and LinkSys isn't updating it anymore. The other flash makers, Tomato and DDwrt, don't cover Storage Link, so I've resigned myself to being out of luck on this.

About all you can do to get around this is use a BAT file I guess? My other machine is an XP and it needs one anyway. Only Vista and W7 supposedly can see the link and connect without one I understand, but unless I use the standard defaults, the W7 system needs a p/w as well.

I'd suspect the router... and I don't think LinkSys really cares if it works or not. If I needed it 'badly'', I'd be buying a NAS.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.