The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

external hdd undetected

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by stretchuk
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 372 times

stretchuk

i have a pc running win 7, i have an iomega 2 Tb network nas drive, connected via ethernet cable,
i have a 1 Tb hdd in an external caddy, connected via usb 2.0
now the pc will detect both drives, but only for 15 or 20 mins at a time , then i have to restart them,
the 1 tb won't allow transfers over 400mb with out suddenly dissapearing and windows saying drive "unavailable" file system for this drive is ntfs.
the iomega i don't know about, probably fat32, both drives only a few months old, and both "dissappear" with out warning or obvious fault or error code etc

i'm thinking its a pc fault not a drive fault as both drives work fine in my mates PC, i just can't think what it might be,
any idea's ? thanks

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

1. Set up High Performance Power Plan.

2. Go through all objects under Device Manager and UN-Check option to let devices turn off to save power.

Posted 1 year ago

stretchuk

thanks, Raphoenix, i'll give your ideas a go, i'll have to check whats essential and what isn't in device manager and go from there, not sure what a high performance power plan is, but I'll find out,
thanks for your reply i'll let you know how i get on,

Posted 1 year ago

stretchuk

Raphoenix, set up a high performance power plan as suggested, and went through device manager and made changes there,
the usb selective suspend setting , seemed like it was the culprit, but unfortunately these changes didn't work in my case.
but i do think that your right that its the usb that is powering down or making idle the device.
though i cant seem to stop it, annoying doesn't cover it, lol
any other suggestions ? :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Go through EVERY ITEM in Advanced Settings of High Performance Power Plan and insure nothing is set to conserve power.

Also go through every setting in your mate's PC and and duplicate the settings on your PC.

Post the make and model number of your machine or motherboard.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.