How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

External HDD Slow & extends Post times.

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PackDrill
  • Latest reply from albie
  • Topic Viewed 316 times

PackDrill
PackDrill

Hey guys so I got a WD My Book 4TB External HDD, If I don't touch my PC for a few minutes when I try to explore that Hard drive or even open a media player and play songs that are located on that Hard Drive, it takes at least 10 seconds to read, it's a USB 3.0 External.
I thought maybe pagefile had something to do with it, but there's plenty of vram and physical ram too (16gb)

-Then when I boot my PC and the external is pluged in, it causes my Post screen to delay an extra 15 seconds before it starts loading my first boot option.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It's an external SATA that shuts down when not in permanent use. Doesn't surprise me that it takes that long to wake up, and check the disk before it is ready to use.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Cons
•High 4K seek latency
•USB 2 performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822236385
http://www.storagereview.com/h.....000_review

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Is it set to power down when not in use? Sounds to me like it is powering up when you access it.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

That's prob the case, can I set it to never power down?

-Also would I need to change something in my BIOS to not have that long delay on POST, cause changing it to not power down I know is in Windows but it won't effect Post.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Raphoenix - I assumed it was because it's such a big disk it would take a while too.

What do you mean 2.0? It's 3.0 tho. Or are you saying since it's so big it acts like it's a USB 2.0 device?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Was reading the Last FEEDBACK TAB Posting here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822236385

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

PackDrill,
I have a 2TB USB 3.0 and on the initial access it takes longer than my smaller external drives. after that can't really notice the access time.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Most external drives will shut themselves down automatically. Nothing you can do about it.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

LH Really? AHh there's no settings that I can change to have it never sleep? :/
It's a pain in the neck.

Alright I'll make due with it's 10 seconds delay to turn on in windows now about it slowing down my POST. Will I still have to live with that?

Posted 1 year ago

albie
albie

I think external HDD usually have delays even I often experience that so patience is needed. In time you can be used to it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!