The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

External HDD (Resycle folder

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by clutch566
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1577 times

clutch566

I have a Maxtor 4 Onetouch and there was a suppicious folder name Resycle so I deleted, the dummy I am. Now I can't double click to access the drive now I get a rundll32.exe error and I have to open in a new window or explore to get it to open. I have to many files to save them some were else and format to hopefuly fix it.

Any suggestions?

Clutch566

This is for all OS's

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Hi clutch. Which OS are you using. Different answers for different one's :)

Posted 5 years ago

clutch566

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and Xp on all other machines and Once and a while a Vista laptop

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If you happen to have the recovery points on the Maxtor enabled, you could recover the file from the shadowstorage. Listen to this for details.

Posted 5 years ago

clutch566

Nope didn't do that and it was months ago I did this stupid move

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hmm.... I also have an external drive that I move among different systems with XP or Vista. It has a $RECYCLE.BIN folder and a RECYCLER folder, both hidden. That's probably what you saw -- multiple recycle folders due to different OS handling.

I don't know why it would be upset about this. I would think that the deleted folder would just be re-created the next time a recycle bin deletion was needed. Which OS gives you the error? What is the full text (or image) of the error?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

ScottW said "That's probably what you saw -- multiple recycle folders due to different OS handling."
Indeed.
Windows 9X and Windows NT/2000/XP using the FAT file system (which external USB drives use by default) create a folder named "RECYCLED".
Windows NT/2000/XP using the NTFS file system create a folder named "RECYCLER".
The reason for this is explained at http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewth.....20225.aspx
Windows Vista/7 using the NTFS file system create a folder name "$RECYCLE.BIN".
I can't remember where but I know I read somewhere that the reason for the new name was to enable new functions like Recycle Bins for Network Folders.

ScottW said "I don't know why it would be upset about this. I would think that the deleted folder would just be re-created the next time a recycle bin deletion was needed."
I don't have any idea either. This is how the system would normally handle it if I recall right (I've messed with the Recycle Bin briefly before).
The only thing I can think of it that the Recycle Bin had system files in it when the topic op deleted it that the computer relied on.
Which of course is very unusual as the system will never put system files in the Recycle Bin itself. If it happened, then the problem was most likely caused by third-party software.

Edit:
Looking at the line in the original post "now I get a rundll32.exe error", I know see the problem.
I think what happened is that a third-party program installed into a directory named "RECYCLE" or similar on the hard drive.
It uses rundll32.exe to function (A common host program for small things like shell extensions).
The "rundll32.exe" is from Windows attempting to load this program/shell extension.

Edit 2:
@clutch566:
Here is what you need to do to solve this issue:
Download Sysinternals AutoRuns and check for entries pointing to rundll32.exe and uncheck ones pointing to the folder you deleted (D:\recycle\something.dll or similar).
Should that not help then you will need to use ShellExView to disable third-party shell extensions one by one until you find the program. I can post more on this should you need to use it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.