How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

External HDD failing

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vickybuddie
  • Latest reply from vickybuddie
  • Topic Viewed 866 times

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

I have a WD Passport 160GB external hard-disk. It recently developed some problems and window can no longer access it. When I plug it in, the drive is displayed in explorer as 'Local disk' but when I click on it, I get an error msg saying 'Drive is inaccessible'. I have already used 'Test Disk' but the issue is not fixed. I can see the files in the disk by using another file recovery software and recover them one by one. But that's a tedious task. And, I don't have that much diskspace either.

What i'm looking for is - some way to fix the Partition table / MFT of the drive, so that this drive itself is accessible. Can you guys help me here?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

WD does have a few downloads available for diagnostics that you can try http://support.wdc.com/product.....38;lang=en Just make sure that is the correct drive.

Posted 6 years ago

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

Yeah, I downloaded the app this evening. Let me see if this works. Fingers crossed.

Posted 6 years ago

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

That app reported a lot of Bad Sectors. Claimed a drive replacement from WD. Waiting for the faulty drive to be picked up.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.