How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

external HDD

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Eddiebug1
  • Latest reply from Eddiebug1
  • Topic Viewed 726 times

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

I bought a 500GB seagate external HDD and now all the data is missing and it wants me to format it but when i try it says Windows cannot format the disk what should i do i am running Windows7 home premium if that info is needed

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

How did you try to format it? Why is all the data missing?

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

I don't know why all the data is gone and I just clicked the format now button when it popped up

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Go to the start orb and type disk management in the search area. Should say create and format hard disks near the top, click on that. Does the drive you want to format show up?

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

It shows up but it doesn't allow me to do anything to it so I can't format it that way

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

If you right click on it and try to format what does it say?

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

Right now it says formating in the disk box

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

it says it is in useand asks if i want to force the format

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

See if it formats for you. It's 5:00AM. here have to sleep for a few hours. If it formats great if not, follow the directions here and run CHKDSK.

http://www.w7forums.com/use-ch.....-t448.html

Still wonder why your data was lost though.

Edit: You can't format while the disk is in use. Try the above link.

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

it started to format and now i can't find it on my computer except in the disk manager

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If it completed the format you may have to either reboot or assign a drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Did you run the CHKDSK? Might have more of a problem then just the format. Since you lost your data.

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

it's not showing up in computer so i can't

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

the format failed and the goflex drive disapered off of the computer and I've reset 4 times already today

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Eddiebug, I think we need to start from the beginning here. You lost your data, but don't seemed to concerned about that. Okay, why did you lose your data. Did you do something or is it a drive failure. Drive won't format because it is active. But, now you can't find it. Give up all the info before this problem started. Why don't you care you lost your data. Maybe wasn't important to you but, the cause might be. Never asked is this a desktop your connected to if it is try this.
http://www.seagate.com/support.....flex-desk/

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Don't know what O/S your running or what system but sometimes if you plug and unplug an external a few times on different systems for whatever the reason it loses its drive letter and prompts you to format the drive.
I'm a little surprised you didn't try to save your data before attempting a format.
If your data is important you might be able to recover it from a format.
Has the format started and if so did the format complete?

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

i had my computer sitting on the dog house in my motor home when i was cleaning but my dog jumped on it to bark at another dog and knocked the seagate on the floor unplugging it from the computer and then when i plugged it back in i saw the files and when i clicked on them it said i needed to format it. i checked it on my moms computer and my HP desktop and got the same error so i ruled out my laptop being the problem

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

i have it set as drive (I:) and windows 7 Home Premium

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Gee, Eddiebug1, Asked you yesterday why all your data was gone you didn't know. If you want to fix the problem be forthright about it.

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

I got it to format i had to use exFAT I was trying to use NTFS (Default)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!