The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

External hard drives full of movies

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by suzy4paws
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 1177 times

suzy4paws

Can any one advise me how I can get a list of all the movies off each hard drive so I know what I have in my collection, then I would like to add the list into Excel so I can see if I have doubled up on movies.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Maybe you can use DOS command redirection operator. If the contents (files) in the external hd are all movies with the same ext (such as .avi), open a command prompt and run dir /b > movies.txt. You will have a text file named movies in the dirive with all the avi files sorted in alphabethical order. Open it in Notepad, select all Ctrl+A) and paste it into Excel (each movie title will occupy a cell). If you have dissimilar files in the drive you will have to use the wildcard character "*" such as dir *.avi /b > movies.txt.

Posted 1 year ago

suzy4paws

Thank you,
Unfortunately they have more than movies, but I suppose I could transfer all the movies to another hard drive and then do what you suggest.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg

Hi

I think that Karen's Directory Printer will get you what you need.

Not only will it give you a listing of files across all directories on your drive it will also filter for Video files. Seeing as how Karen unfortunately passed away a year or so ago the video filter is not up to date but, as all good programmers do, she ensured that the program will live on by giving you the ability to add to the filter.

Give it a try and come back if you have any problems setting up.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

You do not have to move/transfer all your movies as you can filter the list using the wildcard character"*" i.e. dir *.avi /b > avimovies.txt, dir *.mp4 /b > mp4movies.txt, dir *.mkv /b > mkvmovies.txt, etc. You will have individual txt file listing all avi, mp4, mkv, etc movie files.

Or you can use the "/o" switch and the "sortorder" of the dir command which will sort the list. Hence, if you run "dir /a:-b /b /o:e > myfiles.txt" (w/o the quotes) will create a text file (myfiles.txt in my example) with all the filenames sorted out by extension. You can then highlight, in Notepad, the group of avis, mp4s, mkvs, etc. and paste them in Excel. In Excel, you can sort the titles and see which movies are doubled (same file name but different extension)

The dir command's "/a:-b" switch is used so that directories are not listed, the "/b" switch uses the bare format (only filenames and extensions are listed) and the "/o:e" switch sorts the list by extension. In dos prompt you can type dir /? to see other options.

If you are not up to or not familiar with running dos commands, you can try moreeg's suggested program above.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.