The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

External hard drives.

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Roberto1
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1990 times

Roberto1

I'm thinking of getting a desktop hard drive to back up my complete system. (Using Dell dimension computer from Jan.2006).
As a novice in this sort of thing I wonder if anyone could comment on whether you get what you pay for when buying a well-known brand, or are you simply paying for the name.
I suppose I really want to know whether there is any good but cheap stuff out there :-)

Posted 6 years ago

english

@Roberto1
I first got a maxtor and it died after 2 months so i changed it for a 500gig western digital my book
and it is spot on, 1000s of pics on it and approx 35 full length films i have used about 150gig up
and i am a novice also so i am pleased with it.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

My personal preference is Western Digital (never had a failure). But I also (at the moment) use Seagate, Maxtor, and Samsung.
I've not had a failure on any of these (in use for last 20 months).
But locally, I've seen a lot of Maxtor failures. That could be that the local shop bought a bad batch, I don't know.

Posted 6 years ago

english

@Lighthouse
the maxtor that died on me after 2 MONTHS was not a very good advertisement for maxtor.
I have also been told of other maxtors failing my feeling is that they get to hot as the one i had was a sealed unit (no vents on it)
i think that seagate is also a good unit to have.
We all live and learn.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Um...well Seagate recently bought Maxtor, so we will have to see what happens there!
And you can always take your external drive apart, and then drill (strategically placed) holes in the case, to improve airflow. (and even fit a small fan if you think it necessary).

Posted 6 years ago

english

Yes this topic of external HD is a bit of a nightmare I think you pay your money and take a chance and
hope for a good one, but i still back up onto a mem stick.
not very trusting am i Lol lol

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

agreed!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The USB stick idea is the safest (I think). Problem is, for backing up the whole system you'll need 32Gb or even more, and those sticks are expensive. Disk wise I have a few WD's (2.5 and 3.5 inch) and a 2.5 inch Fujitzu. I never had a problem with any of them.

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

@Lighthouse
Recently? Seagate acquired Maxtor nearly 3 years ago (Dec 2005). ^_^

In regards to external hard drives, their main drawback is heat since most are inside enclosures with no fans or airflow. Use an external drive for backup only! Don't leave it on 24/7. Make sure you back your data up to it and then PROPERLY remove it (by selecting the remove device icon in the System Tray) and then shutting it down.

Posted 6 years ago

english

So if device has lots of airflow, which was my main point and goes to sleep when not called upon
but still has power running to it as they do not have on/off switch is that not good enougth??

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Theres a thing! I have 2 ext. drives (with switches) that do not shut down automatically. I have another 3 (without switches), that shut down after 20 mins when no useage is detected.

@Jon. 3 years already? Doesn't time fly :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Lighthouse,

It Sure Does !!
Kindest Regards,
MacGyver ♦ :) :)

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

Man
we have so many q's about External Hard Drives (from me too :D)

Geek, would you mind an article on this?
I think you were talking about one a while ago, but didn't get around to it?

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent

I personally have had nothing but good experiences with WD. My wife has two WD My Books and they have been working fine for probably a little over a year now. I also use a WD passport and i love it.

Small, doesn't get hot, 250GB, fast, USB powered. Bottom line is i would recommend going with WD and the prices are pretty cheap now anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822136227

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Thanks to all for a lot of interesting and helpful info.

I think I know where I'm going now :-)

Bob

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

To answer one of the OP's original questions, I do believe that *some* brand names are worth paying for and do give you value for the money. Personally, I'm a fan of Seagates, which have a high reliability rating, are quiet, fast, and have a 5 year warranty. I find that worth paying for, but I also have WDs because they are inexpensive, though slightly noisier and slower. To pick a couple of current examples from NewEgg, you could get a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500GB or a WD My Book Essential 500GB for roughly the same price. The WD comes with a 1 year warranty, the Seagate with a 5 year warranty. And it just so happens that as I'm writing this, the Seagate is $3 cheaper. But, prices change all the time.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Here is a 500GB MyBook for $90. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd.....keycode=85

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.