How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

External Hard Drive Taking Long to Get Detected by PC

(4 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by talha936
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 4421 times

talha936

Hi everyone!
I recently purchased a Western Digital Elements Portable 250GB Hard Disk and it worked well but recently I've noticed that it's taking a long time to get detected by my PC. Whenever I plug the External Hard Drive into a USB 2.0 port, the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray icon comes after about 5-10 seconds but the partitions are not visible in "My computer". After more than 30 seconds, the drives appear in "My Computer" one by one. Please help me. Even if the external hard drive is empty, this much time is taken before I can access the partitions of my external hard drive. I tried this on my other computer (Windows 7) but there was no difference. Please help!

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Welcome to HTG talha936, try this

Check in Computer Management, see if the drive appears there but without drive letter. If so, right click on it and select Assign Drive letter. You should see it in my computer then

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

talha936

I have already assigned drive letters to the 3 partitions of my external hard drive. Whenever i connect it with the PC, it takes a lot of time before the drive icons appear and i can access them. I've also noticed that the external hard drive's reading speed is a bit slow too. Whenever i open it, the icons of exe files take some time before they appear.

Posted 3 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

The sad thing is that USB is just not that fast, particularly when talking about external HDD's, it is, however, the most convenient. If your drive has an eSATA option, use that, as it will be recognized as a regular drive during the POST (assuming you have it plugged in and power on before you boot your computer). In general, transfer speeds (top to bottom) are eSATA, FireWire, USB.

About the only thing you can do to make it seem like it's loading up faster (initially) is just to make sure it is connected to your computer and powered on before you turn on your computer. It will still be slow, but it will be mixed in with everything else that is being loaded so it may not seem as bad.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!