SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

External 2.5 USB Hard Drive - Mini Port Issues (Samsung)

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by butterfingers110
  • Latest reply from butterfingers110
  • Topic Viewed 938 times

butterfingers110

Hi there,

Long story short, hard drive slipped off the table while connected the laptop and bent the pins in the USB mini port (HD didn't hit floor). I no longer can connect the drive via USB.

On opening the case, I expected to see the usual SATA connectors connected via the USB bridge/mini board - I was going to connect drive up to another enclosure I have and happy days.

However, I was presented with this (pics at end of this message) - it is designed with a "USB on Board" type configuration.

I have tried aligning pins back, but are beyond repair.

I see 3 options:

- remove and solder a new USB mini port (sausage fingers make me nervous on this approach)
- see if I can locate a replacement PCB for the hard disk? Understand it has to be an exact match?
- se if theres any faulty or parts only drives I can get on fleabay and attempt salvage/repair

I have no clue where to get a replacement board from or really how to go about either option (4 screws on the PCB)? Contacted Samsung, they gave me Seagate's number - they are closed for the next 2 hours, but will try later.

Hard Drive Details (what do I need to search for a part?)

Samsung S2 USB 2.0 1TB ultraslim Hard Drive

Model : ST1000LM026
HDD P/N: HN-M101XBB

Not sure where to get PCB number from :-(

MANY THANKS for our help.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

View of what is under the tape of you last picture you posted might help with a decision.

Posted 1 year ago

butterfingers110

Hi there - removed the PCB - pics are below - must say, looks like it will be very hard to solder - so maybe PCB replacement is the way to go?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply - any thoughts?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Which country do you live in ?

Posted 1 year ago

butterfingers110

UK - think the boards are from China?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!