The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Extend partitions both ways

(21 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Anonymouse
  • Latest reply from Anonymouse
  • Topic Viewed 1256 times

Anonymouse

A while ago, I partitioned my hard drive. Since then, I have decided I want to get rid of one of my partitions.

Above is a picture of Disk Management. I want to get rid of the Pictures partition. I want to expand the Windows 7 partition backward to use the space. How do I do that?

Also, A: is my SD card reader (built in). Is there any way to remove it unless there is a card in the reader?
I also have a ghost drive, Q:. It appears under Local Disks in My Computer. How do I remove it? It doesn't correspond to any partitions, drives, or device.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi Anonymouse

Navigate to Disk Management (like your picture) and right-click on B: (pictures) volume > select Delete Volume. Then Right-click C: Volume and select Extend Volume...it should be obvious what to do next. It might take a while because Windows might want to move the files to the beginning of the new extension

Cheers

Tony

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Nope. I tried that before...

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Looks like Windows Disk Manager only works to the right for extending... I didn't think it would work because it's got to relocate all the files to the beginning (left).

This should do it..take your time to figure it out...it'll most likely do it on a restart. You might get a black screen with options by windows to fix it during the reboot- just choose the normal start option.

Fire any qustions my way if you are not sure...this is my usual partitioning program.

Google Easeus Partition Manager ...the site won't let me post the URL ...thinks it's spam!

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Right-click on the C: Drive graphic in Easeus and select Resize /Move > Click and Drag the left boundary of C: to far left as you want. Click OK. then click Apply in the main panel bottom left. Confirm. It will the reboot and perform the operation. Remember, if a black screen comes up you want the Normal start option..that's Windows thinking something is wrong which there isn't!

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Unfortunately I run a 64 bit OS, so I'll use Partition Wizard (learned about it from dotTech... great site). If it works, I'll post tomorrow, as when I shut down the computer to finish the partition change-as I'm guessing is needed for a to-the-left change- I'm calling it a night.

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yeah you are right 64 bit support is only in the paid version...what a swizz!

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi Anonymouse, you cannot resize a partition at the beginning like StringJunky says. best you can do is delete your "B" pictures partition. Other option is burn to Dvd a backup image of your Windows 7 partition, then save to Dvd or external hdd your data on your other partitions. Once this is complete you can delete the other partitions on your hdd except "C". Restore your Win 7 image and then you can make or extend your partition / s as you like.
g-x

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Here right now the pro version is free and supports 64 bit " EASEUS Partition Master Professional Edition 5.0.1"
here is the address slightly altered so that I can post it.. { partition-tool dot com/giveaways/epmpro/ }

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I've downloaded it myself....cheers ian :)

Here's the direct download:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EASE.....d6355.html

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Actually, Partition Wizard worked. Now all I need to do is find out how to get rid of A: (my SD card reader) and Q: (I'm guessing it's my second hard drive bay). Any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Can't you delete them with Windows Disk Managment?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

you might have to delete your card reader in device manager. It isn't taking any space

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Germ-x: I just tried that (but I disabled it) and unfortunately it doesn't get re-enabled when I stick in a card to use.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

For the Drive:A Go to the control panel , then folder options.
Then select the View tab,Check the box that says hide empty drives in the computer folder.
The drive will only show up when you put a card in the reader.

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

ian2: Weird- that box IS checked. This is annoying.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

And you have the one above it checked as well,
the "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives.
Another thought try putting an empty card in the reader,and see if windows sees it as empty and hides it.After a restart.
You never know possibly not having a card in the reader ,comes across as an available device and not as an empty one.

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Here's a pic of what I have enabled:

I'll try restarting my computer with a blank 32MB chip (came with camera... a 2008 camera!) in it and see what happens.

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymouse

Ok, got A: to disappear. All I had to do was download the driver from Acer's site. It turns out the MS default one doesn't hide it...
I'm installing the chipset driver too. Any suggestions for Q:, which is I'm guessing my second HDD bay?

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Switch from " show hidden files folders and drives '
to "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.