How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Explorer.exe eating up too much memory

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by seasideromeo
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 14856 times

seasideromeo

I am running XP SP2, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz and 256 MB Ram

explorer.exe taking up almost 30 MB Ram, is this normal?

How can I make it use less memory?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

In my Vista it's 21MB. I cannot check XP because I have only Vistas.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

seasideromeo, hi and welcome. My explorer.exe in XP SP2 is using about 30 MB also, even after a clean boot. So, it probably is normal since we are both seeing the same number on a P4. I doubt you can reduce this number. Ideally, you should have more than 256 MB of RAM for running XP SP2.

In Vista, explorer.exe is taking about 12 MB. I'll bet that some of what used to be in XP's explorer.exe is now spread out among svchost or dwm.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, what's noteworthy is that the RAM usage seems to change. After you posted 12MB for Vista and I had seen 21MB yesterday, I checked it again today - and now it was 10.5MB ( I had not used explorer yet today). Then I used it once and it jumped to 16.5MB. So the 30MB of the poster may also be different depending when he checks it - but maybe XP is different.

Posted 6 years ago

seasideromeo

yeah, true, the longer you go into a session in XP the PageFile usage keeps increasing. I start at 82 MB (after a lot of tricks!) but 3 hours hence its up to 100 MB with just the Desktop running.

Explorer.exe consumes most memory followed by one of the svchost.exe (PID 824).

My next PC would be Linux for sure :D

Posted 6 years ago

k9
k9

Hmm... I have 256 MB on my laptop running XP Pro with service pack 3. My explorer generally never consumes more that 15MB of memory. Right now it is using 6MB with FF3 running with two tabs open. I must say 30 MB is very high. The reason - well I don't know, probably your explorer.exe is a glutton :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

seasideromeo, considering the low prices of RAM these days, I think it's worth getting 3 or 4GB's. I think the times of the "MB" RAMs are over.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

but whs if it is still ddr it is about double the price of ddr2 and 3 - 4 gb's for xp is a bit much.

@k9 how is firefox only using 6mb when my ff3 is using 60mb or is that just a miss type.

and my explorer.exe right now is at 26mb but it varies from time to time. and it is about the same for all of the other machines i have running.

Posted 6 years ago

k9
k9

I meant explorer is using 6MB and now FF3 is using 80MB :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i see now sorry for the missunderstanding and that seems really low for explorer.exe the lowest i have seen mine is like 16mb

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Here's another data point. My wife's laptop has 512 MB memory and is running XP MCE 2005 w/ SP2. The explorer.exe is using around 8 - 9 MB (8876 K). Maybe explorer uses less memory when there is less system RAM? My other system, mentioned above, has 2 GB of RAM.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think we are getting a good deal. Look at all the stuff that's running under the explorer.exe - and all of that for a measily 10.344K.

Posted 6 years ago

k9
k9

All processes in Windows seem to be greedy. The more memory you provide, the more they tend to eat. I have only 256MB RAM, so 3356KB is being used by my explorer.exe now :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That is possible. The above numbers are on a 4GB RAM system.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Those processes are actually not running under explorer, they were started by explorer, so the parent process shows up as explorer, but they won't change the explorer memory usage any.

Small distinction, probably not important =)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, the Geek always knows. We amateurs are really walking in the fog.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!