Explain please :)

(28 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from pipo
  • Topic Viewed 2407 times

jd2066

Just to help anyone reading the thread:
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer (Mostly used in threads about legal issues)
LOL - Laughing Out Loud (Meant to used for something funny when you laughed out load at it, from what I've seen it's used in many places where that is not the case thus making it useless)
OP - Operator (I've used it as part of "topic OP", referring to the person who started a topic)

On IRT, I haven't seen that one before.
As for things like OP or even OS you are right I have used them in some topics.
I usually try to write out what something means if I think it won't be understood but sometimes I miss something.
You are right that some faces can come in handy.
I was just saying for the faces used in an image can be interpreted in different ways as they aren't all known.
Like the image Scott posted above, does it mean just happy or super happy.
On the posts with "topic op", I mainly just used it to avoid using he/she as I have no idea which the topic op is.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay

I've actually only known OP as Original Poster.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Interesting, I didn't know the "Original Poster" meaning of OP.
From a quick Google search it appears both meanings are valid.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

As one of the "uninitiated" I am following every word of your discussion. Interesting. But would it not be better if everybody used halfway correct language. E.g. for me it is often not easy to figure out what the "OP" meant. Reminds me a writing I once saw on a US car dealers window " B 4 U BY SEE US " - pathetic.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

True, it would be best to use correct language.
It bugs me when I read messages with 4 instead of four, lol used incorrectly though out the message, a bunch of explanation marks or capital letters for the whole the message.
There are some cases though where abbreviations/acronyms are helpful.
Like instead of writing "Windows Live Mail" a bunch of times in a message you can write WLM. In that case I usually type "Windows Live Mail (WLM)" first and then use WLM in the rest of the message to help if someone doesn't know what it means.
There are also times where just the acronym is used and the meaning isn't well known. Like RAM. Not many know it's "Random Access Memory".
As for using "topic op" that was the only thing I could think of at the time to refer to the original poster, I should have looked for a better term to use. Now that I know about "Original Poster" I will use that now on.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

jd, no problem with things like WLM, IE or WMP or alike. Those are "professional" terms. This is something like what I grew up with. I was referring to sloppy language for normal conversational items, but I think we agree on that. Always think of people around the world that visit our Forum but are no native English speakers - and I think even the British struggle with the American slang. Try to read some sloppy German or French if you just had a few years of language instruction in school.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Oui, c'est vrai :)

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

(sorry, this is how bored i am, i'm looking at the old threads)

i always thought emoticons and acronyms were universal (i kept using it on the other threads).

here's some of the acronyms i know.
LMAO - laughs my as* off
ROFLMAO - rolls on floor laughing my as* off
AFK - away from keyboard
BRB - be right back

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.