The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

EXE PROBLEM

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ear111
  • Latest reply from ear111
  • Topic Viewed 344 times

ear111

my laptop will not allow me to restore settings. I have a problem with the EXE. I am not savvy with this. Just would like to get help without giving Windows $100.
Any help?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Can you boot into safe mode? To do so, shut down your PC, press the power button, and press the F8 key repeatedly after the manufacturer logo (HP, Dell, etc...) but before the "Starting Windows" logo. Then select "Safe mode with networking".

If you get into safe mode and the problem stops, try performing a virus scan with this:
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup/

(It will probably take a long time.)

If you can't start in safe mode or the problem persists ask us for more help.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Could you give more detail as to your problem. Windows will never ask you for $100 to fix a problem. You may have malware. Try the .exe fix from here. http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....windows-7/

Another suggestion is to start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Delete all it finds.

Boot to Safe Mode
When you boot up before it starts Windows and after the initial BIOS checks, hit the F8 key several times. The start of Windows is usually accompanied by a single Beep. If normal Windows comes up try, try again. A Black screen with choices should come up, choose Safe Mode with networking.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Did you lose the .exe file association - or what. If it is only the file association, you can reset it from here.

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

i am answering this from a different laptop since i can't get on anything from mine.
I don't know what is happening. I cannot get into safe mode

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What happens when you try safe mode?

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

i got into safe mode

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

i am in safe mode. how do i Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Delete all it finds.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you selected safe mode with networking you open a browser and go to the link Above and do it.

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

I can't open explorer, firefox.....nothing

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Then you go to another computer and download the exe fix at either the site I recommended or the one whs recommended and copy it to a flash drive and bring it back to the disabled computer and click on it. then try again.

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

thx. I will try that

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

the stick doesn't open in safe mode

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Do it in regular mode.

Posted 1 year ago

ear111

I did.
OK, I am restoring to before today.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.