SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Excel - Incorporating words into a formula to automatically select criteria

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jewr
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 506 times

jewr

The background:

So I'm preparing all of my receipts for tax-return time of year and the line of work I'm in means that I get to count pretty much every expense as a tax deduction. The trouble is, I need to supply all of my receipts etc. and determine exactly how much I'll be claiming. I've been doing it in an excel spreadsheet in recent years to minimise the amount of actual adding and percentages that I have to do, and allow the computer to do it for me (isn't that what it's for?!) but I've run into a few complications that I believe a slightly more excel-whizzy person may be able to help me with.

There are certain aspects of the deductions which are not 100% deductible, for example I use my personal car for my work. Through the log book method, I've determined that 80% of car use is work-related. This means that 80% of all car uses are a tax deduction.

Where I'm up to:

Well I've input all of the receipts for the financial year so far and have a running tally of how much is being deducted in total (with a simple 'sum of' formula).

Where to from here:

I'd like to expand the running total (into separate totals) with the following basic idea; if the 'category' (expense type) is 'Car', then it automatically removes 20% before adding the $ amount to the running total OR moves it into a separate running total (e.g. 'total car expenses + total phone expenses etc. = total expenses).

The basic idea of it is that I can simply continue to input the categories, the dollar amount etc. and have it automatically work out the running total.

What do I need from the users of 'How-To Geek'?

Well if anyone has a pre-tested formula, then that would be fantastic! Otherwise, any general comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your assistance, I look forward to your thoughts.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Hi

Here is an example of what you might do. It will depend on how your data is arranged and the specifics of how you want to see the results. See if this gives you any ideas and come back with questions if you have them - a screen shot of your data would be helpful in giving specific solutions.

Posted 1 year ago

jewr

Oh my god. I can't believe I didn't think of that! So ridiculously simple! Trust me to over-complicate this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

:)

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Glad I could help. Enjoy the tax refund 😋

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!