The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Excel Files Locking On Server Office 2007

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by yasolin
  • Latest reply from ColinAirlie
  • Topic Viewed 1294 times

yasolin

I have installed office 2007 home and student on my computer but there are various versions being used on our server (about 10 computers). Recently, either the office suite or the server has seen fit to lock certain excel files tying them to either a specific computer or a very general "another user." In both cases, the files are not in fact being used by the other computers and we have even tried accessing them with all other computers off. We have been forced, because of time issues, to create a copy of the file for merging at a later date but this is not a long-term fix as I cannot move, edit, rename, or delete the original files nor can I manage the piles of temp files that are being created with each edit to the new copy. Office support wants to charge me three hundred dollars to trouble shoot this issue and maintains that it is not a microsoft office issue, but a server issue. Either way, I need to solve this problem but we cannot afford too pay $300! Do you have any knowledge pertaining to our problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Have you tried rebooting the server?

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

Yes we have rebooted it since this has happened and nothing has changed.

Posted 6 years ago

Fraggy

Is the issue
a pro version document will not read on your student version
or your student version will not read on the pro versions
or both states?

Student is a limited use version.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@Fraggy: All the Office editions use the same document format. Versions on the other hand like 2003 and 2007 can use different formats.

Posted 6 years ago

ColinAirlie

You can default office to save files in a particular format , like 'Word97-2003'. Have all your users got administrator access/rights?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.