The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Excel 2010 VLOOKUP with 2 active pages & irregular updates

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ej2468
  • Latest reply from ej2468
  • Topic Viewed 631 times

ej2468

I have a spreadsheet that calculates the costs for a student for 2 semesters and prints a one page report. I have set the worksheet to compare the start date of the semester with an effective date. If semester-start-date < effective-date, then I use costs from the current-costs page. If semester-start-date > effective- date, then I use costs from the next-costs page. Each of the costs pages is about 15 rows by 6 columns.

Costs are updated every 1-3 months, not necessarily at a month end. At 'effective-date' I want to delete the page current-costs, rename 'next-costs' to 'current-costs', and create a new 'next-costs' page. When I rename 'next-costs' to 'current-costs' it changes the references in the first spreadsheet. Is there a way to do 'absolutes' on a VLOOKUP page reference like on a cell reference (i.e. $b$17)

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With a slight procedure change you can ensure you don't have to do anything further to keep this running. At 'effective-date' copy the contents of 'next-costs' to 'current-costs', and update 'next-costs' page with the new data.

Posted 1 year ago

ej2468

(forhead slap) Why didn't I think of that?? Thank you for solving the problem for me!!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!